2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer ZR2 stopped while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Starting Member
TheSaint is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Blazer ZR2 stopped while driving. Error P1351

I used my old 1999 Blazer ZR2 the other day and while driving the car lost all power. This happened when i was driving over a speed bump if that matters.

The car cranks over but will not start. There is no sound like the car is going to start at all. It is like there is no power signal or no fuel..
It behaves like if the immobiliser was on but i have checked and it is not on.

Today 07.04.18 a friend did a diganose and it shows error code P1351 (temporary fault). We cleared the code but it comes back on after we tried to start the car

When the immobiliser is active the yellow securety text that sits on the gauge panel is on/lit all the time and when you turn the immobiliser off the yellow securety text turns off after about a second. On my car the immobiliser is behaving correct.

When i tried to start the car i could smell gasoline,
The owner before i bought the car changed the fuel pump so i do not think it is any probem with the fuel pump.

When driving to the store and back home i have noticed that the car seems to misfire a little but only on short drives.
I have not checked the distributor cap yet

I will ask a friend of mine to bring his Wurth diagnose/fault code reader and check if he can find anything. If the Wurth diagnose/fault code reader can be used on my car that is.

Any of my fellow member here that have any idea what the problem might be?

Last edited by TheSaint; 05-07-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:34 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out the fuel pump. If the previous owner used cheap parts then it could very well have failed already.
Start with the cheapest/easiest thing it could be and go from there.
Let us know if you pull any codes.
Good luck.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Starting Member

I will number the spark plug wires(looks like they need to come off to properly check the dist cap) and take off the distrubutor cap and rotor to check that tomorrow

Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

IN order for your truck to run right you need the proper amount of fuel, spark and air.

Pull a spark plug wire at the plug and check that you have 1" of strong blue spark with a properly grounded spark tester. If not check at the cap. If not check at the coil. Do this first since you smell gas after you rule out a leak. Be careful with spark in the presence of leaking gas and/or in a confined space

Do the fuel pump test in the sticky if spark is OK. As mentioned, the fuel system can be deficient even if the pump is new and even if you smell gas.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 05-07-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:44 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

When you first turn the key, do you get the ~2 second prime? If so, do a good visual inspection of your fuel lines (especially right under the pinch weld on your firewall) and the fuel pressure/leakdown test (link below in my signature block). The fact it happened right after going over a bump and the fact that you are smelling fuel could indicate damaged fuel line (there are areas they get terrible rust).

Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran

I assumed the gas smell was probably fuel from lack of spark but this is a good suggestion to rule out a leak first.

george
​​​​​​​

Old 05-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Starting Member

A friend of mine that is a car mechanic came over to my house this evening and he had his diagnose test computer in his X5 so we did a test and the error code that came up is P1351 (temporary fault)

He erased the error code but it came back on as soon as we tried to start the car.

We took out one spark plug wire and put a spark plug in it and cranked the car while holding the spark plug to metal and no spark at all.

I have not taken off the distributo cap to check it and the rotor but i have a feeling that the problem lies there.
Especially now after we checked that there is no spark at all.

We checked the fuel pump and you can hear it start and operate as it is supposed to but i have not pressure tested it

Last edited by TheSaint; 05-31-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran

Now pull the lead out of the distr that comes from the coil and repeat the spark gap test.

george

Old 05-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Starting Member

I will do that tomorrow and check if the coil iis okay but i changed the coil last summer

Old 05-07-2018, 06:56 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TheSaint
A friend of mine that is a car mechanic came over to my house this evening and he had his diagnose test computer in his X5 so we did a test and the error code that came up is P1351 (temporary fault)

He erased the error code but it came back on as soon as we tried to start the car.

We took outon spark plug wire and put a spark plug in it and cranked the car while holding the spark plug to metal and no spark at all.

I have not taken off the distributo cap to check it and the rotor but i have a feeling that the problem lies there.
Especially now after we checked that there is no spark at all.

We checked the fuel pump and you can hear it start and operate as it is supposed to but i have not pressure tested it
P1351 indicates an open problem effecting your Ignition Control Module. I doubt your distributor cap has anything to do with it. Your problem more than likely resides with either your ICM or an open in one of the circuits going to your ICM, to include a possible issue with the CKP sensor. Check your ECM 1 fuse in the UBEC. Also take a look at the CKP sensor to see if the wire and the sensor appear intact. The B(-) cable is right next to it and if the cable is too taunt it's possible the cable jerked on the CKP wiring. These are the easy visual checks before you break out the meter.

Last edited by rockp2; 05-07-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 Blazer ZR2 stopped while driving