2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Bravada fuel tank vent busted

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Starting Member
sky_blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Bravada fuel tank vent busted

title says it all, went to replace fuel pump and plastic was so brittle this little guy broke off. its on the front of the tank i think its called vent valve. the ones i find only go up to 97 mine is a 99. anybody know where i can get one and how this comes out?

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Bravada fuel tank vent busted-bravada-002.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Starting Member

bump....

Old 11-23-2014, 07:34 AM
rockinrandy is on a distinguished road

The local you pull junkyard should have one. That would be the best bet and probably the cheapest otherwise you are likely dealership bound

Old 11-23-2014, 09:43 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rockinrandy
The local you pull junkyard should have one. That would be the best bet and probably the cheapest otherwise you are likely dealership bound
do i have to replace the tank?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Starting Member
perumotors1369 is on a distinguished road

yes...as far as I know that is what you have to do...and actually, as previously mentioned, this will probably be most cost effective and less BS if somehow you could change it (the valve, if at all possible)..Jerry

Old 11-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Starting Member

its sucks cause i have no other vehicle to get another tank..i just wondered if it could be repaired. ill figure something out

Old 11-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Starting Member

i put some JB weld on with a drill bit holding it in place it seems pretty firm. would i be ok to use it? or am i gonna encounter problems? can somebody explain the function of this valve?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM
Starting Member

why is this tank so hard to find? i either have to pay out the a** for one or use my busted one that leaks gas. i tried all my local junkyards, Ebay, Amazon and nothing. in fact most of my local junkyards said they pull the tanks and "punch" them (scrap them) when they get a vehicle in ARGHHH!!!!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Brass tubing (like
THIS THIS
from Amazon, but whatever size you actually need), a drill bit slightly smaller than the tubing diameter, and some JB Weld will fix that right up.

Use the drill bit to open up the hole in both the broke off piece and the piece in the tank going only about 3/8" into the tank piece to keep the tubing from covering the port down into the tank. Cut the tubing to the appropriate length. Using a small block of wood and a hammer, tap the tubing into the tank side of the connection then tap the nipple onto the tubing about half way. Coat the original crack area and the tube with JB Weld then complete the assembly.

The tubing will add the much needed support to the fitting while JB Weld will seal it all up and should keep everything together.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Brass tubing (like
THIS THIS
from Amazon, but whatever size you actually need), a drill bit slightly smaller than the tubing diameter, and some JB Weld will fix that right up.

Use the drill bit to open up the hole in both the broke off piece and the piece in the tank going only about 3/8" into the tank piece to keep the tubing from covering the port down into the tank. Cut the tubing to the appropriate length. Using a small block of wood and a hammer, tap the tubing into the tank side of the connection then tap the nipple onto the tubing about half way. Coat the original crack area and the tube with JB Weld then complete the assembly.

The tubing will add the much needed support to the fitting while JB Weld will seal it all up and should keep everything together.
dude you are a freaking genius ^^ i owe you a beer
you should put that in a sticky or put that in DIY

Quick Reply: 1999 Bravada fuel tank vent busted