2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 LT Blazer with 4x4 Auto - 4x4 problem won't shift at all or shifts on it's own

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member
tntfaguy is on a distinguished road

Ok, job is done. Here was the process:

1. I checked 4wd, ATC and Crank fuses, all were good.
  2. I disconnected all connections at TCEM and they were clean as were the connections at the TCCM. I installed the junkyard TCCM I had, hooked the battery back up and the Service 4wd light came on.
  3. Since I had a new dash switch I went ahead and gave it a shot, but no go so I put the old switch back in.
  4. I drove down to the dealer and they scanned it for me (no charge) and it was low voltage at the motor, I cannot remember the exact description.
  5. Luckily the USPS dropped off the motor I ordered 10 min. before my sister arrived.
  6. I unhooked the battery, put truck up on stands, removed TCCM, then removed the front driveshaft and TCEM.
  7. I shifted the TC into neutral with a wrench as explained in the instructions that came with TCEM and installed it. Loctite on bolts and torqued down to specs. Put dielectric grease on both connections and hooked up. Reinstalled front driveshaft.
  8. Re-connected JY TCCM and hooked up battery. Turned key on and service 4wd light was off , but it was flashing 4low. I shut the key off and thought for a minute. I had the truck on stands in park, so I started it up and put it in neutral and it finished the shift it wanted to make into 2wd.
  9. Here is the odd part. The buttons were working, but it would shift into the wrong modes. Pushing 4hi was 2hi and pushing 2hi was 4low. I thought the TCCM was going to need to be reprogrammed. The dealer was now closed. (EDIT) So I took out the JY TCCM and installed the OE TCCM just for the heck of it, even though the dealer originally said it was bad. Well, it worked the same as the other motor. As a last minute thought, I reinstalled the new switch and BAM. It works. I test drove it on a gravel rode and all modes work smoothly.
Thanks for all the great info Swart I really appreciate it. My sister was ecstatic as we have a storm coming tonight. Her truck does not have the rear locker so it was worthless in 2wd, not to mention she needs better tires.
Again, thanks

Last edited by tntfaguy; 12-11-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it all buttoned back up and working for your daughter. This storm is going to be bad from the sounds of it. I'm in NY and it's raining right now, but supposed to change over to snow in the next few hours.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Glad you got it all buttoned back up and working for your daughter. This storm is going to be bad from the sounds of it. I'm in NY and it's raining right now, but supposed to change over to snow in the next few hours.
Sister No daughters yet!

Do you snowmobile up there? I ride quite a bit, mostly in MI. I'm in north central Indiana and it's just started snowing, but my buddies in MN and WI are buried in it.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that. Too much going on inside my head I guess.

I don't have a snow mobile primarily because winters lately haven't been too conducive to riding. A lot of guys around here have to go up into the mountains to get good snow.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

kind of annoying that a part like the dash switch can be so proplematic

Old 12-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tinted
kind of annoying that a part like the dash switch can be so proplematic
Yea, I think her primary issue was the TCEM maybe, then the switch, but I really don't know. I do remember her saying it had a mind of it's own last year and would just randomly shift into 4wd, if she was going slow enough like in a parking lot it would actually drop into 4lo sometimes. I really don't know what went haywire.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Beginning Member

Well, bad news. My sister just called and said it stopped working again. She has been using it all week in the snow here and working great, had it set in auto all week. She said she was driving down the road and the S4WD light came on and the lights in the switch are out again. When she got out of the store and started it, she said the 4hi light was flashing, then nothing again.

I had her take it to her local dealer to read the code, but they wanted $92 for it...a bunch of BS! My dealer up here did it for free, but I do know a few guys there.

So now I'm really lost. I don't know if there is something that caused the TCEM to go bad, if the TCCM really wasn't that good what. The mechanical parts in the system worked fine. I test drove it and everything engaged nice and smooth and she said it's been working great getting her in and out of her drive.

Swart, any ideas. Unfortunately she lives 1 1/2 from me. I do still have the other TCCM, but I don't think that's the problem.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Get the code read. It's trying to tell you what is wrong or at least what it thinks is wrong.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Get the code read. It's trying to tell you what is wrong or at least what it thinks is wrong.
Yea, thanks I just wish they would have done it for her for $20 or something. I'll see if I can find someone to read it so she doesn't have to drive all the way up here first.

Do you think using the auto mode is causing it undue stress if it's trying to use it frequently? I don't know how much it actually was kicking in and out, but just a thought.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Shouldn't be a problem using the auto4wd mode if everything is working properly.

Quick Reply: 1999 LT Blazer with 4x4 Auto - 4x4 problem won't shift at all or shifts on it's own