2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Oldsmobile Bravada No Start (Fuel Related)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member
Rhettsterhhhh is on a distinguished road
Angry 1999 Oldsmobile Bravada No Start (Fuel Related)

Just two days ago, my truck had done something rather strange. After about a 10 mile drive, I pulled into the driveway, parked and shut her off. About 30 minutes later, I went out to go start her, nothing but cranking. I thought about blaming the recently installed month old fuel pump but I can hear the usual soft hum when the key is turned for about 1-2 seconds. I can hear this hum again when the key is turned off. Although I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, I do believe the pump is fine. It sounds just like it did when first installed. The truck ran like a champ during the whole 10 mile trip and while idling in the driveway.

The truck did start with starting fluid but as soon as the fluid was burnt, nothing. There's clearly no fuel getting to the engine. I'm not sure where to start.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Post up those fuel pressure test results.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member

I haven't yet done one. I'll get it tomorrow.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Beginning Member

I haven't been able to build up more then 47-49 PSI. From what I read, I need at least 50 PSI to open up the poppet style fuel injectors to start her up. Figuring how new the pump is and have ancient the filter looks, I'm thinking of replacing the fuel filter. I just can't find any guides or anything on how to do so.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Beginning Member

To whom this post might benefit, the problem ended up being a faulty fuel pump. Got the truck running after priming the pump using a jumper wire to jump the fuel pump relay (pins 30 to 87). I then put the relay back in and the truck started and ran. I was able to back it up about 20 feet and idle for about 10 more seconds before it stalled. I was able to get it started several times using this method and even revved it up to 3000 revs. It would then just stall for no reason. The fuel pump had a warranty so I had another shipped out. I replaced the fuel pump and the truck has been running great ever since.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the update, what brand pump is it?

Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Beginning Member
Originally Posted by newguy
Thanks for the update, what brand pump is it?
It is Parts Galaxy. It was some cheap generic aftermarket brand. It was all I could afford at the time.