2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 s10 blazer misfires sputters after airbag light goes on.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
carlt1911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1999 s10 blazer misfires sputters after airbag light goes on.

At first the airbag light would go on (blinking) for about ten seconds. During this period the engine would misfire, sputter, loose power and the more I would try and accelerate the worse the symptoms would get.
The problem above happened about six times and then on the seventh or eighth time the problem went on and stayed on. What is really weird about this is after starting the engine it runs OK the first fifteen seconds and then I hear what sounds like a mechanical relay kick on and the misfires-sputters starts again.
I checked the truck with a OBDII scan tool and no errors come up.
From what I'm told you need a special scan tool to read SIR (airbag) error codes.
At this point I disable the SIR (airbag) circuit and problem persist.

I then removed the connectors from the two front impact sensors the drivers and passenger airbags and the large connector from the DERM
(Black box under the center console).
I did not remove the arming sensor from under the truck
because couldn't find it at that time. I'm somewhat perplexed at this point because according most people I talked with if the DERM is removed the SIR (airbag) system is disabled. I clear the ECM with my scan tool, disconnect the battery and walk away for week.
After a week I start the truck and it runs OK.

To add insult to injury its time to get my truck smogged. Now I have to get
the I/O functions on the ECM to the ready state again after clearing it last week which normally takes 15 plus miles.
I take the truck for a ride on the freeway and exit after about twenty miles.
as soon as I exit the frigin truck starts misfiring sputtering shaking ETC. I pull into a parking lot and sit there with the car sputtering in park turning it on and off. After 5 minutes or so the truck starts and no
misfire this time. I get back on the freeway drive home with no more problems.
I check the truck with the scan tool and there is no errors.
I then check the I\O ready function and everything is ready except the EVAP and HO2S circuits.
I replace the gas cap for the EVAP problem and drive for another 20 miles.
I recheck and still have the same errors. I let the truck idle for about 45 minutes and recheck. Now I have a number 2 cylinder misfire and the EVAP and HO2S circuits are still not ready.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1999 s10 blazer misfires sputters after airbag light goes on.

While all of this craziness was happening, did you notice the "security" light come on?

Reason I ask is because some of the symptoms you are experiencing can be caused by a failing ignition switch in the steering column. This is typically accompanied by the "security" light coming on, but does not have to be...

Old 02-26-2009, 04:19 PM
RWRIGHT is an unknown quantity at this point

another thing you maybe able to do is read your owners manual find out which fuse runs that air bag light and take out the fuse...and try it then...might help....might not

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
carlt1911 is an unknown quantity at this point

To the security light question, yep. Unfortunately I tried all that stuff. I live on a horse shoe street and fornear twenty minutes I drove around jiggling my ignition assembly trying to get the little blastard to act up. Yesterday I warmed the (POS) up and began to high pressure spraythe airbag sensor area's and wiring harnesses under the truck without as much as a microcough out of it. Today I'mgoing to install theforward HO2sensors. Tomorrow maybe a 12 pound sledge hammer.There was anotherquestion about removing a fuse. The first thng you have to do is remove the SIR-airbag fuse to disable the airbag system.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So the security light is lit? Ignition switch problems are rarely able to be duplicated by giggling some wires around. I would start by replacing the ignition switch in the column. You can follow the DIY article in the Tech Article (DIY) section. Post back up here if you have any questions.

There is also an article on disabling the SIR system.