2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1st gen/2nd gen diff's.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light
Default 1st gen/2nd gen diff's.

my youngest brother just picked up a Winter beater last Thursday-actually, he bought it, i went and picked it up with my trailer
he paid $350 for a '94 SLT 4 door, 4x4 Jimmy. full leather (in MINT condition), all the power options (except for the mirror's, can't figure that one out), electronic 4x4 (it works!), and all it needed for safety was 4 tires and a tail pipe! brand new brakes front & rear, with slotted rotors up front. solid front end, engine is wisper quiet (not even the "cold start" lifter clatter). typical rot on the front fenders & lower right rear quarter, blistering on the lower front doors & over the windshield. solid cab mounts & floor.

i heard the typical "clang" when shifting from "drive" to "reverse". no biggy (is that even a word?........) it's just needs a universal (so you change both of them). the problem is, when i went to pull the drive shaft on Saturday night this is what i found;

i gave him my spare drive shaft that i had from a '98 Jimmy i stripped (same O/A length, spline), but.........

my BIG question is, will the yoke from the '98 Jimmy fit on his '94 diff?
i don't want to remove the diff yoke on his truck until i'm ready to swap it, and i want to know if they're the same before i do that.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 11-09-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: wrong pic links
Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

need to have this truck back together by Wednesday night. anyone have an idea on this one?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at what the pinion shaft spline count is on replacement gear sets. I believe they are the same.

The problem you are going to run into is getting the same preload on the pinion bearings after the swap...

Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Beginning Member
scrmmealuvsong22 is an unknown quantity at this point

awesome same thing happen to my 1991 K5 blazer the strap broke like that i dont know if they r the same butwhen mine broke i went on ebay and bought a used Slip yoke from JUST CHEVY TRUCKS. I have bought a few things from them for my truck there Very good and know what there talking about. In case they arent the same i would maybe give them a look if ur trying to pick up a used yoke instead of paying for a new one here is his ebay site http://myworld.ebay.com/just_chevy_trucks

Old 11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
BF Guru

@ Kyle: this is the problem. i already have a diff from a '98 that i stripped in the Spring laying in the shed. what i need to know is, if anyone know if the '98 diff yoke has the same spline as the '94's?
i know it'll be a beach to get the same preload, not impossible, just hard.
i don't want to take apart a perfectly working diff if it won't swap out.

@scream: like i said in my original post, and to Kyle (swartlkk), i already have the part, i'm looking for compatibility of the different years.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you missed the point of my reply... You could have helped yourself by simply comparing the R&P sets over the years. Or just going to Randy's Ring & Pinion and looking up the yoke applications...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM
BF Guru

gotcha. it sounded like you were stearing me towards disassembly before knowing what was inside (refering to my knowing, not yours).

Randy's applications state 1983-2002, without any other info. so i guess that would cover it. thanks all.