2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2 door fuel pump vs four door fuel pump

Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member
biglfla is on a distinguished road
Default 2 door fuel pump vs four door fuel pump

hello i have a quick question i have a 98 four door jimmy that needs a fuel pump and a friend of mine has a 2 door 2001 jimmy that he is selling me for 300 dollars because he crashed it the question i have is can i use the pump from the 2 door in my 4 door and also what are the differences in the pumps i see that they have different part numbers but i would figure that since they are both providing fuel to the same motor that they should be interchangeable maybe its just the sending units that are different? any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

Old 03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer is no. The tanks are different.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

As mentioned above, they're different. Pump motor is the same. The housings and level sensors are different.
The difference is mainly that the 2 door does not have the spare tire mounted under the tank, while the 4 door does. The 2 dr tank is 19 gallons, the 4 door is 18. 2 door tank is taller, so the assembly's springs are taller as well as the level sensor arm is longer.
You probably wouldn't be able to get the top secured to the tank ring because the housing unit won't compress enough.

I found this out the hard way. Napa gave me a pump assy for an S10 pick-up (an even taller tank than the 2 dr). I crammed it in my 2 dr, but my gauge never worked properly.
Had to take it out, and re-install the correct unit. The correct unit was $40.00 more (WTF) Napa guy even-swapped the part; he felt bad he gave me the wrong assembly.

You could cannibalize the assemblies and swap just the pumps, but the internal hose that runs from the pump to the housing top plate may be a problem to re-attach. These are shrink wrap hoses. On older pumps, these hoses were zip-tied. But that was for lower pressure assemblies. I would not recommend doing that in your application.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Beginning Member
biglfla is on a distinguished road

thanks touring mike thats the info i was looking for im pretty sure i can make it work if i use a small hose clamp to secure the hose or maybe i can just swap the tank with the assembly still in it

Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be a straight up hack job to get a 2dr tank into a 4dr truck. Completely different methods of mounting to the frame.

You can strip the insides out if you want to go that route, but you are putting a lot of effort into a used pump with unknown life remaining.