2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2 leaks, 1 definitely gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member
charlie beachside is on a distinguished road
Default 2 leaks, 1 definitely gas

So this is the 3rd issue I've had with this 2002 Blazer and I'm hoping for some help. I had a radiator hose leak and have finally fixed that. I spent this weekend driving around and monitoring to make sure there were no more leaks. And on Sunday I noticed a wet spot under my hood. I panicked, checked my hose and its good, then I noticed where the puddle was coming from is a completely different area. I don't know what this component is called, but whatever it is, the outer housing is all cracked, and it seems to be leaking some kind of fluid in more than one place. Its at the top left corner of my compartment. I have attached some picture for reference.

I also have what is definitely a gas leak underneath my tank. I noticed the gas smell as I got out of my car and I can kinda smell it through my A/C. when idling. Still pictures don't really show the amount but it's a slow drip every few seconds for about 10-15 minutes after i park. I bought a tank repair chemical in case the issue is something easy, but if I don't see a leak from a rust hole in my tank, what else should I check for? This car has been giving me so many problems I'm jut trying to get my registration and insurance cost out of it before I decide to junk it.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Beginning Member

Attached a video of the leak at the passenger side wheel.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2645.MOV (2.87 MB, 16 views)
Old 05-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Beginning Member

And a video of the gas tank leak

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2646.MOV (2.64 MB, 17 views)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:43 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

The very first two photos are the AC evaporator. If Your AC is running cold in a humid ambient area, then the water will condensate and drip. That is nothing to be worried about.

As for the fuel tank, You should find out whether it leaks when engine is shut or not. I.e. leave the ride for over night and check out in the morning. If You don't see any leak, then it may not be the tank itself. Inside the tank You have the fuel pump, that is pressurized while engine is running. It could be blowing the fuel through a leaking connector. Getting to them isn't easy, they are located on top of the tank. I think You could try sneaking in a USB camera through the fender and see what is on top.

Last edited by Mike.308; 05-29-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

I would try to get a look at the top of the gas tank to see if you have fuel leaking from the lines at the fuel pump. Since you have the fuel tank behind the rear axle the setup should be close to my 2000 2 door 4wd. There is a flap above the driver rear tire you can pull back and see the top of the tank. Shine a flashlight on it and you can see if your tank is wet on top. You'll need to do this not too long after you shut it off as the gas will evaporate after a while. I changed my fuel pump couple weeks ago and had a gas leak a few days later. I could shine the light and see gas dripping from the fuel supply line. You won't be able to get to it without dropping the tank at least part way but you can see if it's coming from the supply, vapor or return fuel lines. I have seen a few people cut a hole in the floor above the fuel pump for easier access but I couldn't bring myself to do that to my ride. Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mike.308
The very first two photos are the AC evaporator. If Your AC is running cold in a humid ambient area, then the water will condensate and drip. That is nothing to be worried about.
I would still be concerned about the fact that it's cracked. It can potentially pass carbon monoxide or other fumes from under the hood into the passenger compartment. It should really be repaired.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tom A
I would still be concerned about the fact that it's cracked. It can potentially pass carbon monoxide or other fumes from under the hood into the passenger compartment. It should really be repaired.
From my perspective cracks are obvious things, it's owners call to fix it or not. And, in a well maintained ride, the carbon monoxide goes out through a muffler only I've been referring to the "leak" source only.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:58 PM
Beginning Member

Well i've already have the issue where my fuel level sensor isn't working and i have to just fill up my tank and refill every 200 miles so i don't get stuck without gas so hopefully if this isn't just a pinhole leak this is a problem with the pump and I can kill 2 birds with one stone by replacing just 1 part.

Also the A/C Evaporator. i can't find that on Rockauto. As I've said in my other 2 threads, I'm not a car person in the least but I can follow a youtube video like the best of them. There's a crazy ray's around the corner from me that I have scavenged a part or two from (rear window shocks, vents, a passenger seat), so I don't know if this is a part I can just unbolt and replace with little effort with my knowledgebase.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:05 PM

Hey Charlie,
As for the evaporators - these are the AC parts that rarely break. so You may want to grab and pull from the wreckers.

I am not sure whether it is possible to replace the plastic outer case while having it connected. If You come to the point where You have to disconnect it from the system, You'd need someone to suck out the refrigerant from Your AC system. Then, do a pressure test with nitrogen, then a vacuum and refill it over again. In other words, if replacing the plastic isn't possible without disconnecting it's rather leave it to the shop.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:12 AM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

The evaporator case cover that is cracked is normal. Here's a link from this site that discusses this same thing. My 2000 did this and just pulled the rest off when motor was out.

Cracked Evaporator Case

Quick Reply: 2 leaks, 1 definitely gas