2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer 4x4 module or motor??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Starting Member
sky_blazer is on a distinguished road

thanks for the help guys, i got another encoder motor ordered and on the way. hopefully this solves my problem, if not i guess ill just remove the motor altogether and just reach under the truck and manually engage the 4x4 if i need it. i know it engages in the TC and i have vacuum to the front actuator so if not the motor it would have to be the wiring but dont know how to test. ill post my results

Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 PM
roypai is on a distinguished road

For your vents - check up in this corner by the brake booster first:

The hose sitting on the ABS module goes into a vac reservoir in the fender:

Line hooked up properly:

Mine had come off somehow and was leaking just enough vacuum that the vents wouldn't work.

and ummm no reverse and grindy grindy screams of a different problem - a transmission kind of problem ...

Get the encoder motor in and see if that fixes the 4x4 problem and you get reverse again - the TC might just have been stuck 'floating' between ranges until you got it into drive and then the teeth in the TC finally meshed again

keep up the good work - I love to see someone who's not afraid to take it apart and get it worked out

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Blazer 4x4 module or motor??-roypai-55372-albums-worky-bits-show-tell-7454-picture-vacuum-reservoir-line-disconnected-27411.jpg   2000 Blazer 4x4 module or motor??-roypai-55372-albums-worky-bits-show-tell-7454-picture-vacuum-reservoir-connection-fender-27412.jpg   2000 Blazer 4x4 module or motor??-roypai-55372-albums-worky-bits-show-tell-7454-picture-vacuum-reservoir-line-connected-fender-bot.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by roypai
For your vents - check up in this corner by the brake booster first:

The hose sitting on the ABS module goes into a vac reservoir in the fender:

Line hooked up properly:

Mine had come off somehow and was leaking just enough vacuum that the vents wouldn't work.

and ummm no reverse and grindy grindy screams of a different problem - a transmission kind of problem ...

Get the encoder motor in and see if that fixes the 4x4 problem and you get reverse again - the TC might just have been stuck 'floating' between ranges until you got it into drive and then the teeth in the TC finally meshed again

keep up the good work - I love to see someone who's not afraid to take it apart and get it worked out
thanks i appreciate the info. the no reverse thing happened a couple times both times when i pressed the 4hi button it started to shift then stopped and all lights on my selector went out thats when i lost reverse. normally it works and the trans shifts great so i didn't think i had any problems there, thought the same thing maybe motor put the transfer case in limbo. but if this new motor dont fix it ill have the trans checked out

Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Starting Member
Default my vacuum line

that might have been the problem with mine too

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Blazer 4x4 module or motor??-blazer-002.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Starting Member

UPDATE: i got a new line hooked in but that was not the problem, upon investigation i removed the glovebox and noticed a big black box with the words "Sirrus Satellite Radio" on it jammed in behind the glovebox. ill try to get pics tonight but is it possible with that box jammed in there it messed up my HVAC? the air blows out the front and floor so its stuck on that setting. ill probably post another thread for this since this is for my 4x4

Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Starting Member

i uploaded some videos of what the motor is doing now i hooked it back up
motor
Blazer TC encoder motor - YouTube
selector switch
Blazer selector switch - YouTube
on the switch what ever 4x4 button i push the 2hi is still lit

Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 PM

tighten it up and try - it looks like its wiggling around too much for the 'encoder' part of the motor to work to me

Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Starting Member

this is still my old motor. new one shipped out today, so ill be expecting it soon. i was wondering if these motors for the 233 TC only operate on channel P? or what the different channels are for? i wanna test the wiring to see if my problem is there. but having a hard time understanding it (ADD sucks). i think cause the motor was not on the TC the sensor could not sense the position of the peg and thus was looking for it but not sure. i did disassemble the old motor and found no evidence of transmission fluid corrupting the motor, which i hear is one of the main reasons these motors fail

Last edited by sky_blazer; 09-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 PM

near as i can tell from the wiring diagrams and tidbits i've found i THINK its a very basic one 'channel' per position. so basically the TCCM runs the motor say fwd until say channel P gets grounded - and then the TCCM knows its in...i dunno 4hi or something

so it's possible you have a problem with the sensor/channel parts not the actual motor, but the new part you've got on its way should have motor and sensors together as a unit

also i've heard tell of the motors breaking the housing if made to run when not connected to the TC - TCCM doesn't know when to stop the motor and something inside turns too far and snaps

(PS - I'm ADD too but my OCD usually offsets it, just run into trouble when it's something that DOESN'T interest me )

Last edited by roypai; 09-15-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: sp
Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by roypai
near as i can tell from the wiring diagrams and tidbits i've found i THINK its a very basic one 'channel' per position. so basically the TCCM runs the motor say fwd until say channel P gets grounded - and then the TCCM knows its in...i dunno 4hi or something

so it's possible you have a problem with the sensor/channel parts not the actual motor, but the new part you've got on its way should have motor and sensors together as a unit

also i've heard tell of the motors breaking the housing if made to run when not connected to the TC - TCCM doesn't know when to stop the motor and something inside turns too far and snaps

(PS - I'm ADD too but my OCD usually offsets it, just run into trouble when it's something that DOESN'T interest me )
ok i think i understand that. so hopefully my problem, is in the sensor of this old motor otherwise im not looking too positive the new motor will fix my issue. lol im pretty much dumb as crap when it comes to electrical i can probably understand some of it if its dumbed down to say kindergarten level :/ if it wasnt for those stupid security torx screws i could take the sensor off

Last edited by sky_blazer; 09-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer 4x4 module or motor??