Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   2000 blazer hesitation need some help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/2000-blazer-hesitation-need-some-help-40652/)

whiteg87 02-10-2010 11:06 PM

2000 blazer hesitation need some help

I just got a 2000 blazer and spent 650 on different things. Things such as: All parts for tune-up, both front wheel bearings and ball joints. I drove it for about 2 days and started to feel a slight jolting sensation. I took my car to mineke to get an oil change and it seemed like it started to do it more often. It seems very subtle but it also seems like it is starting to do it more and more. It almost feels like a transmission slip but I dont think thats the problem. The check engine light recently came on and the code is P0420. Ive searched this forum and found things on this code but It seems like my blazer jolting is a little different than others. What do you guys think??

swartlkk 02-11-2010 06:27 AM

Fix the code and see what happens. That is a place to start anyway. As far as the "jolting" issue, you may want to get a little more descriptive... When does it do it? Is it repetitive? Can you make it happen? How fast are you going when it happens? Does going faster or slower stop it?

whiteg87 02-11-2010 08:34 AM

You say fix the code. I believe the code and the jolting are of the same issue and fixing it should solve my problems. Thats what im trying to figure out. Im sorry im not being descriptive enough. Its more of a hesitation than a jolt. almost like im taking my foot off the gas pedal for an instant. It is pretty repetitive but you can only barely feel it. It is a sluggish feeling. It does this mainly between 20mph and highway speeds. Most times it does this other times it does not.

rriddle3 02-11-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by whiteg87 (Post 298673)
...Ive searched this forum and found things on this code...

Including this thread?
P0420 Explained

whiteg87 02-11-2010 09:12 AM

I did see this artical but it is very technical. Can you please help me in lamens terms?:icon_shrug:

swartlkk 02-11-2010 09:56 AM

While it may be technical, you need to understand that you are not working on a mid-70's, dead nuts simple vehicle anymore. The basic gist of this code is that your catalytic converter is not functioning properly in that the delay between the upstream O2 sensors and the downstream (after cat) sensor is not long enough.

Beyond that, you need to get familiar with working on a modern vehicle unless you want to take a shot at just throwing parts which is what most people resort to and get quite frustrated in the process of lightening their wallet.

whiteg87 02-11-2010 05:13 PM

Ok, I re-read the P0420 psot but what exactly am I supposed to do?? Sorry Im no comprehending it.

That would be "post" and "not"

swartlkk 02-11-2010 06:56 PM

I'll see what I can come up with for you, but I don't have the time to do it at the moment.

*EDIT* - So I lied, have a read through this page and see if that helps:
Troubleshooting P0420 Catalyst Code

whiteg87 02-12-2010 01:28 AM

Ok, this article was much better. Thanks for that. Im still somewhat in the dark about what exactly to do. Im going to start tomorrow by tapping my converter with a rubber mallet to see if there is a rattle on the inside. Ill then try and clean out the egr valve. After that I have no idea. I also noticed a low whining noise in front of my steering wheel. When I open the hood it feels like it is coming from the line that I think the pcv valve is on. Do you know what that whine could be? Sorry im kinda all over the place. I really do appreciate your help!!!

doubleh 03-03-2010 03:52 PM

Any luck in fixing the hesitation problem? I have a 2000 that is doing the same thing and looking on where I need to start.