2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer Parking Brake Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
glow is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer Parking Brake Hardware

Just picked up a 2000 Blazer, 2 Dr, 4WD. Rear backing plates rusted out and the parking brake shoe and hardware were missing. Got shoes, hardware kit, and backing plates from RockAuto. Installed all, found hardware kit did not include pivot arm (connects to cable), actuating pin, or rubber boot. Arm was still attached to cable, boots are torn (like to replace), but I need the pin that pushes the adjusters (for lack of correct term) to spread the shoe. Any clue why hardware kit wouldn't come with pin (not shown in parts kit picture, so it wasn't missing from shipment), and where I could get one (actually two - one each side). Dealer only sells entire assembly (plates, shoes, & HW kit which includes pin, boot, pivot arm).

Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you talking about the threaded adjuster?
Is your old "pin" no good?
Salvage?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is likely going to be a junk yard for these parts if you do not have them.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
glow is on a distinguished road

Not the threaded adjuster. Pin pushes the other side from the adjuster out to engage shoe (to clarify, 4W disk brakes w/rear drum parking brake). The pins (my guess ~1" stainless steel rod) were missing from the brake assembly when I got the vehicle, and didn't come with the hardware kit. I figured it was junk yard time or fashion something myself from some steel stock from the hardware store.
Thanks.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

I Picked up a replacement part kit when I rebuilt my park brake. The kit was made by CARLSON And the part number that i have is H7321, another number on the box is also 13-7747-2. This kit had the pins that you speak of. In my blazer the pin had actually snaped in half. The kit cost around $30 CAN and I picked it up from my local parts store. On the box they say they are based out of Lima, Ohio. Hope this helps

Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Starting Member
ravenhurst is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm reopening an old thread because I'm about to replace my parking brake shoes.

I know they're worn out because I replaced my rotors a year ago (its been awhile) and the previous owner had worn down the e-brake so bad it gouged the heck out of the rotors. They have been replaced, and I just now got around to buying new shoes for it.

I've seen all the adjustment threads. I'm curious to know if I need this "kit" in order to replace the shoes. The Bendix part came with the two shoes, two large V-springs, a bunch of little clips, a few bolts, a screw, and two rivets.

Any advice on how to change the park brake shoe before begin? I see there isn't a DIY submission so I'll be sure to bring the camera.

Last edited by ravenhurst; 08-18-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Starting Member
ravenhurst is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick follow up. My 2000 LT 4x4 parking brake shoe was easy to replace. The horseshoe comes out as one piece by gently prying on it with a screw driver. The adjustment is done where the open end of the shoe slips over the expanding "pin". You screw it in to make it lose or screw it out to make it tight in the rotor. Very easy to change and adjust.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Beginning Member
tponeill is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ravenhurst
I'm reopening an old thread because I'm about to replace my parking brake shoes.

I know they're worn out because I replaced my rotors a year ago (its been awhile) and the previous owner had worn down the e-brake so bad it gouged the heck out of the rotors. They have been replaced, and I just now got around to buying new shoes for it.

I've seen all the adjustment threads. I'm curious to know if I need this "kit" in order to replace the shoes. The Bendix part came with the two shoes, two large V-springs, a bunch of little clips, a few bolts, a screw, and two rivets.

Any advice on how to change the park brake shoe before begin? I see there isn't a DIY submission so I'll be sure to bring the camera.

I find myself in a similar predicament but hours of searching and no answers or even a pic to help.

I purchased a raybestos parking break kit explained above..interestingly the horseshoe came in 2 pcs. one slides into the other to make a complete shoe. (I took off a 1 pc. unit presumably stock). I don't have a problem with that but the two holes on top seen in the pic have me wondering. They won't hold the 2 pcs. together, the holes are both on 1 pc centered top.

My backing plate was dust so thanks to this forum I cut new shields in half and touched up painted the raw edge.

Now I can't tell if I am to use 2 of the small square clips / side or 1. Mine were rusted off and Haynes/Chiltons are as helpful as I expected.

Second, what is the V shaped spring or clip for. I did not remove one, don't ever remember having one but previous owner could have trashed it. Almost looks like a Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip except Raybestos doesn't make one for the s-10 and 2 per side are needed.

I need to drill out the old (broken+rusted) screw and tap it but the rivets included with the parking brake kit have me scratching my head. Any ideas?

Oh, the instructions with the kit were copied so many times they are not readable, my first slam on Raybestos.

Of course I want to do this correctly but hate having extra parts I'm not sure are extra!

Thanks in advance for your help guys, invaluble resource.

Last edited by tponeill; 05-09-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The 2 piece shoe is not anything Raybestos would do. The shoes are one piece, just as the picture shows them. As for the "V" shaped "springs", the park brake on your Blazer does not use them, probably as you mentioned, "extra parts". The OEM retainer clips are screwed on. Not sure what the rivets are for, nothing on your system. Sounds like somebody found a bunch of odds and ends and threw them in a Raybestos box that they had laying around. The job is straight forward, other than removing the rusted clip screws. Autozone has the hardware kit with everything you need: Duralast/Parking Brake Hardware Kit (H7926) | 1998 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD 6 Cylinders W 4.3L SFI | AutoZone.com_