2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Chevrolet Blazer - Overhead Console Help (Not New Install), Steering, Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Mudlife88 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Chevrolet Blazer - Overhead Console Help (Not New Install), Steering, Fuel Gauge

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer, Leather Int, Power Everything, Keyless, and so on. I have a few issues.

#1 - Fuel Gauge is either always full or always empty - I figured needed to replace fuel pump to get gauge back. Imput Welcome

#2 - Steering has alot of play, I have looked and idler arm is a little lose but the gear box seems to have excessive play, I have never replaced one. What all is involved, is it a easy swap the box out deal or what. I really need some direction here.

#3 - Overhead console displays incorrect information. Nothing is wright and it never changes. I have NO experience with this but was hoping to get it working as the RANGE would allow me to keep up with my fuel a little better. Nothing like heading to work at 2am and run outta gas, thats not a fun call to make. I have no idea what Im doing or where to start looking. All lights work, displays number, 30C temp, range stays at 236 I think. I Will get the info it displays in the am, just really wanna get this fixed.

I have been searching for 2 hours now, I feel I have the answer to both fuel and steering issue but all I find on the overhead is people needing help swapping/installing them and this is not the case for me.

Thanks in advance I am proud to be here and look forward to talking to everyone.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Ok....Some wierd info.

Range 263 - With $20 of gas @ $3.54 A Gal INCORRECT
Fuel Used 0.0 - Reset
Avg Speed 0.0 - Reset
Compass/Temp - NW OC - Hold both buttons you get # Selection 1-15 ???

I hope this helps someone point me in the right direction lmao I have no idea what to check to get this all working.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Alright....

The Range is going up?? Put $37.00 in and it went from 263 to 282? And the tank is now full but on the way to the store Range started at 258 and in 3 miles it went to 264. What causes this to be out? Where do I look? I need outside air sensor, will this cause this to do that??

Old 09-04-2011, 04:42 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

The Range is not very accurate. It is based upon fuel level, fuel used and current fuel demand or usage. Use the trip meter instead until fuel gauge is fixed.

The fuel gauge.....if it really only shows either full or empty...nothing in between, then the sensor is going from an open (full) to a short (empty). This is limited to three items; gauge, sensor or wiring between. First thing I suggest is finding the electrical connection to the fuel pump/sensor at the tank. Pull it apart, check for dirty terminals and clean. Then use a DMM or ohm meter, measure the resistance across the purple and black wire going to the fuel pump/sensor. If that reads between 90 and 10 ohms...it is probably good. Now put a 90 to 10 ohm resistor across the purple and black terminals and turn the ignition key to ON and see what the fuel gauge reads. By changing resistor values, the gauge will show different levels.

Overhead console: if you hold both buttons down for like 10 seconds you get a number...this number sets the compass for the area you live in so that the direction is correct. The display will go back to normal after about 30 seconds. To select the number you press the US-Metric (I think)...could be the other one though.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:29 PM

Well I kinda find this to be good news. I will check the plug and see what I find there. Where is the fuel sensor you speak of?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 PM

The fuel sensor that I speak of is the fuel level sensor, attached to the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank.
Only way to get to the fuel pump/sensor is to drop the tank. Not really all that hard, but not alot of fun. And you have to be very careful of the front vent line....it will break.

Gee...wonder how I know that.....

Old 09-04-2011, 09:11 PM

LOL....Well I wanna explore all non dropping the tank options. If all fails then I will get a new pump and go ahead and change it out.

This is not a BIG deal but a pain in the butt sometimes. You never know how much you rely on a fuel gauge until it quits. Like I said it NEVER shows anything other than full or empty. Fill it up and you get full, as it goes down it will jump between full and empty. I think its a retard. (rah-tard) LMAO

Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

I just set my trip odometer. At 225 miles, I get fuel. That usually leaves about 4-5 gallons in the tank for fudge factor.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:42 AM

Yep.....use the trip meter instead of the Range display. As I drive more highway than surfaces streets I can go easily 300 miles and still have a reserve. My fuel gauge works, but I still use the trip meter as you just cannot rely upon the fuel gauge....and like the original poster...running out of fuel early in the morning is not a phone call I want to make.

Resistors can be obtained at Radio Shack. Get two around 45 ohms, 1/8 watt is all you need. This way you can check the fuel gauge at full and then at half. If you do not have an ohm meter or DMM....and I do not like supporting China....Harbor Freight has a unit for about $5. Not real accurate but close enough for this.

Good luck.