2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 chevy blazer - back window not releasing to open gate..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
ensembledwar is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 chevy blazer - back window not releasing to open gate..

First time posting, so hello to everyone and i'll have to keep around these boards since I plan on keeping my Blazer a while! heh.

Here's the issue, one day it was fine, and I Was loading a bit of stuff in the back, and closed it all and locked up and on my way. When i got there, I press the inside release for the window and i hear the click, but it doesn't actually release. I can hear the motor, so the fuse isn't gone, but something's not letting go for the window to be raised for the tailgate to come down.

The same happens when i push it from the outside button, i hear the click like it's moving, but no release of the window. So I can't get the tailgate down either..

after a week of leaving it I need to get it fixed cause loading in through the side of a 2 door blazer won't work for much longer!

I am going to go try a few things and lookin the book and see if there's any quick manual releases for it, but though i'd post here and if I have no luck someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm just hopeing it's not one of them things that will need to be replaced or fixed by a mechanic.. it seems simple enough.

thx for any help and i'll let ya know how it goes!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Your tailgate folds down?
I had the same problem with my window release... I had to remove the inside panel in order to clean and lube the latching mechanism.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:32 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If you hear the motor working, but the rear glass won't open, you most likely have a broken actuator inside the tailgate panel. Read through this thread and see if it helps.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:48 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

I would verify the latch is indeed moving.

This brings up a related question I have... should I have to hold the button down to lift the latch? If I just press it, I can hear it unlatch, but the window does not open. I have to manually hold the button down, then lift to get it to release.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, you shouldn't have to hold down the button while you lift up on the window. This indicates that your latch is not adjusted properly. The weather stripping should be plush enough to put tension on the latch which should pop the glass up and out of the latch once it releases.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I'll have to check it out. I wasn't sure if it was just the way they were. Sucks when your hands are full.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM
ensembledwar is on a distinguished road

On the ousside just an inch to the left of the button that releases it, there is a decent size rectangle metal plate, where the spare wheel gate swings closed and locks in place.

I'm going to try unbolting that metal plate, and maybe it'll give me access to the inside of the tailgate so I can see what's going on as the button's pushed.

Anyone know if this is going to work, before I tear up the inside panel? It's basically getting to the same area I want to be at but just from the outside..