2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1st Time Fuel Filter Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default 1st Time Fuel Filter Replacement.

I have had my 2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition over a year now and have not changed the fuel filter so today was the day to tackle it. First problem the ferral nut was rusted and I initially could not break the nut loose. I was using flare nut wrenches but was still afraid of rounding a nut over. I sprayed the fitting with PB Blaster and did a few errands and about 3 hours later I gave it another shot. I put regular wrench on the filter side and a flare wrench on the fuel line side and I was able to break the nut loose. The next issue was the quick release fitting on the other side I could not get a good grip on the fitting so I wanted to get the filter out of the bracket and swing the filter down so I could get better access to the fuel line. That mounting bracket is a very tight fit on the filter. I ended up removing the bracket and lowering the bracket with the filter in it. I got the fuel line off and had to put the filter in a vise to tap it out of the bracket. I remounted the bracket. Inserted the new filter in the bracket but it is such a tight fit I could not get the filter in far enough to get the ferral nut started. I ended up using a piece of 1' dowel and was able to push the filter in. Re-attached the quick connect fitting and re-started the vehical and all is well. If anyone knows an easier way to get the filter in the mounting bracket please let me know for the next time.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

A tiny bit of lube on the filter, place it on an ledge so the extension is not damaged, and push the bracket on. Changing the filter is a simple job, but a pita.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Starting Member
LRV31 is on a distinguished road

I've found in the past that the Fram filters will slide into the bracket easily. With other filters that are tight I filed down a bit of the bracket ribs to help ease them in.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:27 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I thought about filing the ribs down a little bit. I just fought it though. On the first gen the clamp loosens as you loosen the hold down bolt. But you do not have the quick release fitting on the 1st gen.