2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 stalled at red light. pump?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 PM
cplthomas is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 stalled at red light. pump?

So, Im just sitting there, minding my own business and poof. The light turns green and I dont go anywhere, look down and the dash lights are on. It died the instant I mashed the pedal when the light turned green.
I just bought this truck from a used car lot so I called them... owner said he would hook me up..
sent his mechanic to my house...
I am mechanically inclined but if this isnt going to cost me anything Im going to take advantage right?
So it has spark, I dint see the color but he said its good. The truck starts with starting fluid.
Mech thought it was the pressure regulator....or injector... or pump....
There is pressure, but we dont know how much.
SO, I go in the house for a while and he pulls this jack out of his car, jacks the truck up (nowthis is after a day and a half of work) and bam, it starts and stays running. He said he wanted to get it flat before tearng into the engine (to replace the regulator).
There was a fresh tank of gas about 239 miles ago, but (as we know - and I now know) the fuel guage waqs erradic.. so it was less than accurate.
The mech think it was just bcause the truck was on an incline and thats why it wouldnt start - this doesnt explain the sudden stop as i was going slightly uphill at that time.
Heres my question(s)... could it have just been some sediments clogging the pump; if so how long does it have till it happens again; is this common?
How does the pump war you its about to go out - not that they warn you but there might be some tells that you guys know about that I dont... like sputtering or SES light or somehting else.?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Do a fuel pressure leakdown test. Get a loaner test gauge from a parts store. Hook it up to the test port. Key ON engine OFF pressure must be between 60-66psi in the first two seconds while the pump is running. Then must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes. Post your results. Fuel delivery issue will not throw a DTC code.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

On my 97 it just went out. after they sit a lot of times they will start & run but not for very long as a rule.
Do the test as stated in above post. I doubt it is a regulator. My guess is pump. If you let them put anything but a Delphi or GM pump you will be doing it again out of warranty. Just search posts here on that.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

With 239 miles run, the fuel tank is almost empty. Could be water at the bottom of the tank is why it stopped running at the light. Then it started when on the jack as fuel found its way to the pump.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Yeah, if you were driving in mostly city then at 239 miles your tank is probably dry. lets hope that was your problem anyways. But with that in mind DO NOT try to keep starting it. You will fry the pump with no gas in there to cool it. It only takes running it dry once to kill the pump too sadly. But the pump is in the back of the tank so when the front was lifted, enough gas probably got to the pump to start it.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
cplthomas is on a distinguished road

I put a galloin in it while he was working on it, that and he lifted it and i ran good. Drove around the block a few times and it seems fine. I will just have to keep it above a quarter from now on. I just wanted to see where I would be when the 'low fuel' light came on, which never did. Looks like I got about 215 to 220 miles max before I have problems. Now my goal is to rectify that number...