2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 4.3 140K new parts wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
hondacharger is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 4.3 140K new parts wont turn over

new manifold gaskets

new plugs

new plug wires

new cap & rotor

new battery

new starter

new map sensor on upper plenum

new fuel filter

cleaned injectors

new oil & filter

new radiator and fluid

new air filter

new power steering pump and pulley

the truck will not turn over? the dash all seems normal when you turn the key to on and the statrter was clicking like the battery was low but I replaced the battery and starter?

NOw all I get when trying to start is a KA-Chunk sound and then nothing? Its like the stator motor is jammed or the flywheel is not moving?

It made this same sound right after I charged the old battery? I just thought the battery was to weak even after charging all night to turn over the motor because it was three years old and I live in florida HOT.

I had the battery tested it was a little on the weak side, so I replaced it. I installed the new battery and got this KA-Chunk sound and the motor does not turn over?

I then thought the starter must be bad? I pulled the starter had it tested and it was laboring a bit to turn over the test gear so I replaced it also.

I would think the ignition switch is fine because it tries to turn over the motor, the battery is new, the starter is new..... everything seems to be good but the motor is like frozen , not moving, wont turn over???

I did have some moisture intrusion while working on the manifold wich lead to the power steering pump shaft getting rusty. I have since changed the power steering pump.

Is it possible a pulley could hold back the engine from moving if it has oxidation?

Is it possible the belt is too tight holding back the motor from turning over at starting?

what are some posibilities that the statro motor would not be able to move the eninge over?

I dont think I have a proper wrench to move the engine over manualy and I just added all the fluids again, so it would be a nightmare to drain everything to remove the radiator to get to the main forgot whats its called to be able to rotate the engine by hand?

Any thoughts would be great! thanks for reading such a long post

Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Will it turn over if you remove the accessory drive belt?

You should not have to remove the radiator to get at the front of the crank. It can be done from underneath. Get the proper tools and see if it will turn over by hand.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member

you mean to just re-route so that the ac compressor is not on the belt drive system? right?

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Will it turn over if you remove the accessory drive belt?

You should not have to remove the radiator to get at the front of the crank. It can be done from underneath. Get the proper tools and see if it will turn over by hand.
what proper tools do I need to move the crank over?

thanks again sorry for the novie questions I have been at this for six months and the time and money spent on this truck is like eating at me if I dont get this thing to start , LOL even if it runs poorly at least I have something to go on,

Last edited by rriddle3; 08-11-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hondacharger
what proper tools do I need to move the crank over?

thanks again sorry for the novie questions I have been at this for six months and the time and money spent on this truck is like eating at me if I dont get this thing to start , LOL even if it runs poorly at least I have something to go on,
A socket and a breaker bar would be a wonderful start. Toss the socket onto the bolt in the center of the crank pulley, connect the breaker bar, and pull. It really is not difficult or time consuming...

Old 08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member

what size socket? sorry I should have been more specific, LOL

is there going to be enough clearence for the braker bar? I dont have this thing on a lift, just floor jack and jack stands... thanks again!

Last edited by rriddle3; 08-11-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Get in there and see if what you have fits. I have done this job a number of times, but do not know exactly what the size was and I could not tell you if I used a deep socket or a shallow socket with an extension... I just got under it and pulled what I thought to be the correct looking sized socket off the rail and tried it. And yes you can do it without a lift. Just jack up the front of the vehicle and support it on jack stands.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member

alright cool gotcha will do!!! I just completely despise having to run to the store while in the middle of being dirty, sweaty etc, I hate driving the wifes car when I am a complete disaster she complains LOL thanks again for the info....

Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Beginning Member

ok when under the truck facing the motor or looking up at the motor I should say I used a 16mm deep well very short extension and a braker bar almost backed up to the fan blades close but workable. So when turning clock wise I get about two very small movements and then the nut goes loose like I am untightening the crankshaft bolt I guess that is? IF I got counter clockwise I get the bolt tight then two small movements and just a little morre but the bolt starts to feel as thought it may be moving and no longer getting tight almost like a strip so I stopped. I took the ac conmpressor off and removed the entire belt. I tried to start and got just a very small whining sound but it did trun over slightly but then stopped and went back to the KA-Chunk sound I am going to test the battery again??? Silver autocraft from advanced I can look at the cranking amps, cold amps etc. ,but I am sure that this battery is enough muscle to get the job done it had one in it already when I bought the truck... So its seems like something is binding hungh? I am afraid to put anymore pressure on the bolt. This bolt is the one inside that bottom pulley surrounded by three other bolts right? thanks mucho!!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Beginning Member

any thoughts fellas

Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Beginning Member

has anybody ever heard of hydrolic lock? has anyone ever gotten water in the cylinders before? has anyone expierenced a crankshaft that wont move in my situation? thanks in advacne

Quick Reply: 2001 4.3 140K new parts wont turn over