2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 4 button NP8 - 4x4 working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:06 PM
Beginning Member
99blkx is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 4 button NP8 - 4x4 working intermittently

I've searched and searched and researched and searched... now I post...

Truck was bone stock from the PO. I put new Detroit Axle hubs in but reused the old ABS sensors. I'll be putting the new sensors in shortly when I rebuild the front end (ball joints and axles and tie rods, etc.).

The truck would engage into 4hi just fine. Click the button, flash a few times, and bam, it's in. Then one day, seemingly out of the blue, it stopped. Press the button, Service 4wd light comes on, the press button lights flash, then it goes back to 2wd. It has worked intermittently since.

Pulled the code: C0367 - Front axle control circuit high. Researched that and not much exists.

I swapped in a refurb TCCM because it was easy. That wouldn't even light the buttons up. I'm curious if it was bad or needed programmed.

I checked the vacuum actuator and the cable. Cable is a little rusty up top but still moves and I oiled it. Actuator has vacuum.

I've had a couple of ABS lights pop on since as well. Those were for erratic or missing signals (C0223 and C0226).

Here's the really weird part... I've been driving the truck a bit and noticed one commonality. If the dash voltmeter is just below 14, 4hi will engage and work just fine. If it's just above 14, it won't. I'm wondering if maybe I have a short somewhere or need to get out the DMM and start testing. Only problem... I HATE ELECTRICAL! Ugh...

Here's where the dash works versus doesn't.

Works:

Does NOT work:

Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

If it is electrical, maybe there is an issue with the TCCM. When I installed a NOS TCCM for my 1999 after my 4-button system stopped working, it worked fine. Is there a warrantee on the refurbished TCCM?

Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Beginning Member

Just thought I'd share an update since there's almost nothing on the site about this particular code...

I swapped the 4wd switch because I had ordered one a while ago and they're relatively cheap. No change. I cleaned and applied dielectric grease to the speed sensors in the TC and front axle. No change. I ordered a new TCCM and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping that USPS can make the delivery with our weather. We've got 2 feet of snow when we usually don't get more than a few inches. Ugh!

Old 02-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just created the post linked to below for you:
C0367 - Front Axle Control Circuit High

This code deals with the front axle engagement indicator switch which is located on the front axle near where the cable connects.

I doubt that minor fluctuation in system voltage would cause this concern. It more sounds like a sticking switch or something sticking with the engagement system.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I just created the post linked to below for you:
C0367 - Front Axle Control Circuit High

This code deals with the front axle engagement indicator switch which is located on the front axle near where the cable connects.

I doubt that minor fluctuation in system voltage would cause this concern. It more sounds like a sticking switch or something sticking with the engagement system.
Thank you sir! THIS is why I love that forums aren't actually dead...

I'm going to pick up the Front Drive Axle Clutch solenoid on my way home from work today. It's just easier to return the part if I have to than drive all the way home to middle of nowhere and then find out it's bad. Between that and the TCCM that should be here tomorrow I'm feeling better about things.

Cheers!

Old 02-13-2019, 03:21 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 99blkx
Thank you sir! THIS is why I love that forums aren't actually dead...
Yeah, Facebook may eventually kill the forums but it's just not good for much more than bragging. No organization, and difficult to go back to anything from the past - just a ongoing sequence of current random messages.

Refurb TCCMs need some level of programming, as the same GM P/N can be used in multiple applications. However, Cardone (and I assume others) (not GM) pre-program the TCCM for certain vehicles and sell them as their own specific P/Ns. So I can say that the correct Cardone one would definitely work without additional programming (at least one did in my 2001 4-button Blazer).

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-13-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Yeah, Facebook may eventually kill the forums but it's just not good for much more than bragging. No organization, and difficult to go back to anything from the past - just a ongoing sequence of current random messages.

Refurb TCCMs need some level of programming, as the same GM P/N can be used in multiple applications. However, Cardone (and I assume others) (not GM) pre-program the TCCM for certain vehicles and sell them as their own specific P/Ns. So I can say that the correct Cardone one would definitely work without additional programming (at least one did in my 2001 4-button Blazer).
Agreed. I ended up as admin in a couple of my Miata groups and parts of me want to shut them down... the other part of me just keeps referring people to the forums when asking dumb questions, lol.

I'm headed to pick up the solenoid now. The TCCM is a Cardone unit so I'm hopeful there. Fingers crossed...

Old 02-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member

Swapped in the new actuator solenoid with no change. Same exact symptoms. Realized I probably need to put in new vacuum lines.

I danced the USPS dance with our weather and a small office. I cursed a lot. The mailman came multiple times with no delivery. All I wanted was a TCCM...

And today my roommate rescued me. I was out skiing but he went to the post office for me. The TCCM was finally in my hands.

And............ IT WORKS!!!! Happy to report that 4wd is happy and working as expected. Going to play with it a bit more tomorrow to be sure. I’ll update my build thread.

HUGE thanks to swartllk (spelling?)!!!

Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Congrats and thanks for the followup. It i super helpful when people tell us how things work out.

No go out and have some fun using your 4wd!

Old 02-16-2019, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Congrats and thanks for the followup. It i super helpful when people tell us how things work out.

No go out and have some fun using your 4wd!
Thanks and you're welcome! It's one of my pet peeves when a thread is left without resolution. I've been at this forum thing for many moons, lol.

I already rolled around my neighborhood crushing snow banks.