2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Changing doors...Wiring HELP?

Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing doors...Wiring HELP?

Okay, so I had a 98 Jimmy, that got totalled last July, by a drunk driver. I bought it back from State Farm, wanting to keep the tranny, and sell most of the other stuff.
Anyway, last week, there was a 2001 Jimmy on Craigslist, that the tranny had just gone out of. I bought it for a pretty sweet price. We're going to change the tranny this coming weekend, and it looks like it's going to be a great deal for me.

ANYWAY, both passenger doors have small dents in them. Almost unnoticable, but still. Both Jimmys are the same color, so I'd like to swap the doors(all damage to the 98 was in the rear end).
How hard is it?

What do I do about getting the wiring undone/out?

Especially, the one that goes to the power lock. How do I unattach it?

THANKS,
David

Old 01-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Changing doors...Wiring HELP?

The wiring shouldn't be all that difficult. It will remain on the vehicle. You'll have to pull the interior panels off of both doors and pull back the weather deflector. Unplug all of the electrical connections inside the door and then pull the harness through the pass thru at the front of the door after getting the rubber piece loose.

From there, you need to remove the door spring, support the door, and remove the pins. The light truck door spring removal tool makes removing and installing the spring a snap! I got mine from Eastwood.com for around $16 a few years ago and it is definitely worth it!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, the wiring to the power lock....
I'm on the rear passenger door. My hand is too big to pull the wires loose! I've unbolted the latch from the door, but I still can't pull it forward enough, to remove the wires.
ANY advice?

Old 01-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably need to find someone with smaller hands. To get the latch to someplace with more room you would have to disconnect the latch/lock rods from latch. This can be accomplished with a flat blade screw driver and some patience, but it isn't exactly the easiest thing. I would bolt the latch back in loosely and use a mechanics mirror to come up with a game plan for removing the rods.