Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   2001 Blazer Sputtering and Dying randomly (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/2001-blazer-sputtering-dying-randomly-69456/)

pfunknasty 03-28-2012 10:51 AM

2001 Blazer Sputtering and Dying randomly

OK, this is a last ditch effort. I have a 2nd Gen '01 Blazer 2WD, 4DR. I have replaced the distributor, the ignition coil, the ignition control module, camshaft sensor, and the connectors to each of these components.

I continue to get a random sputtering and/or random dying. The most common occurrence is during cold weather, particularly 20 degrees or lower.

I have taken the vehicle to a Chevy Dealer and a local mechanic and both times they have pretty much told me they have no clue what's wrong with it. They are changing parts basically and it's cost me over $1,000 already.

I have no clue what's wrong, but it has to be electrical or something minor because all the ignition, fuel, and air components on the truck are pretty much new or used with less than 10,000 miles on them.

Anybody ever had this sort of random misfire or sputtering? Could I need a new PCM or ECC or ECM,or whatever they're called?

bearsfaninwisc 03-28-2012 12:37 PM

I to am having the same problem as you and am starting to consider just junking or parting out mine cause I am so sick and tired of the problems with these POS trucks.

03-28-2012 12:42 PM

What have you done with fuel so deliverie so far?

bearsfaninwisc 03-28-2012 01:25 PM

Oh lets see, I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter cause my pump just up and died on me.Other than that nothing else except the intake gasket.

But like you said mine was spitting and sputtering when cold and now it just dies or will not start,as of now I am checking for the ignition control module as some have suggested to me which i guess can cause these symptoms we are having.

pfunknasty 03-28-2012 01:31 PM

The fuel filter and fuel pump were both replaced around the same time. They have about 15,000 miles of use. I probably should replace the fuel filter, but this issue has been around since before I replaced it.

I have also cleaned the fuel injectors with Lucas FI Cleaner, I have used 2 bottles.

The problem that prompted me to take the truck into the shop was the crank no-start condition. The vehicle would not start when I put starting fluid in it, so it is not related to fuel delivery. Well, let me back up, I don't think it's related to fuel delivery because I have no clue why this is not working, but I suspect it's not fuel delivery. The truck does run, just randomly dies or sputters.

I was thinking PCM or MAF sensor, but again, I have no clue.

bearsfaninwisc 03-28-2012 01:43 PM

Well there has to be codes stored or showing up if you think thats the problem? Have you had it scanned? I did and nothing shows up relating to anything like that.
As you I am stumped and have no clue where to look except for what I have been told to look for.Let me know if you figure this out as I will let you know what I can figure out.

pfunknasty 03-28-2012 02:00 PM

I have it at the dealer now. I think I may just need to go up there and talk to the mechanic as he works on it. The problem with that is that the only way for me to know if it is fixed, is if I don't have a problem with starting through the winter.

Right now it starts and runs fine, then all of a sudden, sputtering, or dies at a stop light (always a good spot). I already replaced my Ignition Control Module and that didn't help.

onebadsuv 03-28-2012 11:36 PM

Ignition coil failing possibly - similar issues as You've described when they go bad . May intermittently Work when cold but windings short as the thing heats up ... engine dies

LannyL81 03-29-2012 06:46 AM

As has been stated many times in this forum; the Blazer electrical systems only like GM-Delco parts, particularly the fuel pump and ignition parts.
Airtex fuel pumps and china made igntion components just fail at ramdom times and will make you think there is another "new" problem because of the mind set of...."all these parts are new so they cannot be the problem."

Stay after it....and good luck.

pfunknasty 04-04-2012 10:51 AM

OK, here's one recurring pattern, but I don't know what it is telling me. I will be driving and all of a sudden it starts to sputter, then die. Then I try to crank and it fails to spark. I cleaned the MAF sensor with Carb Cleaner. Then it started right back up, I drove it around for another 4 miles. I went to bed, woke up and it started right up. I drove it 1 block and it died and hasn't started since.

I cleaned the MAF sensor again, but that didn't work. I also replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor and nothing.

The recurring pattern is this, if I can get the vehicle to start, it will drive for around 50 or so miles. Each time I've taken it to the shop (a total of 4 times), I have driven it for about 2 hours and then it starts acting up. I don't know what is going on here. New Ignition Switch, new ignition coil, new distributor, new cap and rotor, known-good ignition control module, new camshaft sensor, new crankshaft positioing sensor, still won't start.

Engine Control Computer? Short in the wiring? WTF, I have no clue.