2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Chevy Blazer key fob programing. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Beginning Member
Shauniscool123 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Chevy Blazer key fob programing. Please help!

Hey everyone, winter is around the corner here in Utah and I was hoping to finally program my key fob to my vehicle. I've tried all the methods of programming that are supposed to work, but for some reason it won't work. I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3 4WD LT. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated !
thanks.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road

Has it had a key fob synced with it before? Not all the Blazer's came with the fob option. To check bring the vin to a chevy dealer and they can tell you for sure, and the receiver as well. You can also start the programming procedure and find out if you have a receiver.

Programming Procedure:

1) Close all doors and windows
2) Hold down the unlock button on the driver's side (continue holding until a step says to release)
3) Turn the key to on (just before start) then off, then on and off once more.
4) Release the unlock button.
5) At this point the doors should all go through a unlock lock sequence. If they do not you likely do not have a receiver.
6) Hold the lock and unlock buttons down on the transmitter (key fob). When the locks cycle the fob has been programmed.
7) When all fobs are programmed exit by turning the ignition back on and off.

NOTE: When programming ALL fobs, including current ones must be reprogrammed.

If you do get into the programming mode and the fob refuses to sync after 30 seconds or so then make sure the fob is correct for the car. I know that 2001's came with two different receivers, the number on the fob must match for it to work.

P.S. Can't believe the local dealer wanted to charge me $50 to do this...

Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM
Hockey Goon is on a distinguished road

Agreed with the above but remember - like children some fobs are slower to learn than others. I bought a couple cheap replacement fobs as we only had the one with the Jimmy. I spent 15 minutes with the first new fob and it still wouldn't activate. Finally I switched back the original fob - activated it then went back the cheap replacement fobs. They suddenly starting activating in a few minutes.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member
McGyver is on a distinguished road
Old 10-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member
tepideskimo is on a distinguished road
Default Same issue

I'm doing all of the steps correctly and using a fob that worked before. I'm not getting the door lock/unlock happening.
any ideas?

Originally Posted by Shauniscool123
Hey everyone, winter is around the corner here in Utah and I was hoping to finally program my key fob to my vehicle. I've tried all the methods of programming that are supposed to work, but for some reason it won't work. I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3 4WD LT. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated !
thanks.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Starting Member

So is it step 5 or 6 in my instructions that isn't working as both involve the doors going through a lock cycle?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member
Default Step 5

Originally Posted by LuckyAce
So is it step 5 or 6 in my instructions that isn't working as both involve the doors going through a lock cycle?
It's at step 5. It's not looking and unlocking the doors. Is it possible that I burned out the transmitter?

Old 10-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Starting Member

I am by far not an expert, so the following is merely a guess: I'm sure someone else is much more knowledgeable on this forum.

If the car itself is refusing to enter the programming mode and you are positive you have followed the steps correctly then my guess would be that the problem rest with the receiver in the car. If there is no receiver detected then it is my understanding the car will not enter programming mode.

Kinda stupid questions, but do the power locks work by pressing the button on the door? I know you probably already tested it hence why I said it was a stupid question for me to ask.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member
Default Power locks do work

Originally Posted by LuckyAce
I am by far not an expert, so the following is merely a guess: I'm sure someone else is much more knowledgeable on this forum.

If the car itself is refusing to enter the programming mode and you are positive you have followed the steps correctly then my guess would be that the problem rest with the receiver in the car. If there is no receiver detected then it is my understanding the car will not enter programming mode.

Kinda stupid questions, but do the power locks work by pressing the button on the door? I know you probably already tested it hence why I said it was a stupid question for me to ask.
Yes the power locks do work properly when you press the button on the inside of the door. It's currently the only way that I can lock all of the doors without reaching across the passenger seat.
Do you know where the receiver is located in the car?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:54 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick Reply: 2001 Chevy Blazer key fob programing. Please help!