2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Spark Plug Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Beginning Member
CustomBlazer0047 is on a distinguished road
Angry Spark Plug Problems

i recently changed my spark plugs and my truck ran great for about 2 days and out of nowhere my engine started jumpin and sounding like it was going to stall. so i looked under my hood and one of the spark plug cables was disconnected at the distributer. so i shut the engine off and re connected it. i started my truck again and it still running real rough. can anyone help me with this?

Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

you can only use AC Delco brand spark plugs in these v6 trucks....otherwise you will get a misfire and rough running!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Beginning Member

im using autolite double platinum

Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what year Blazer you drive, the wire connections at the cap can be tricky. Double check all of them.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
Angry

checked all my connections they are in the right order. but the plug that the wire orginally wiggled off of now has an orange spark instead of a blue spark. any ideas why? faulted plug maybe?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Starting Member
01BlackBeauty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Depending on what year Blazer you drive, the wire connections at the cap can be tricky. Double check all of them.
Don't just check the order, check the connections as rriddle3 suggested. I just did a tune up on mine and when I installed the new plug wires they wanted to push back off the towers. A little extra umph and they 'clicked' into position. If you're getting the orange spark at the plug end of the wire it may be the wire isn't seated into the tower. I'd check all of them and make sure they are all properly seated.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member
Thumbs down Update

just uninstall all spark plug and wires completely. then re-installed it all. all the plugs are secure all the cables at the spark plug end are secure all the cables at the dizzy end are all secure and the cable from the dizzy to the coil is secure. everything is perfect and has been checked over numerous times. all the plugs are sparking oranged. and so is the cable from the coil to a test ground. check engine light is on. this makes no sence. AT ALL. like i said from the begining. i was driving it was running fine after i installed all the plugs and cables. 2 days later the engine started jumping. i checked it. a cable fell orr. i re-secured it. it stayed running rough. i call the maker of autolite spark plugs and i was told the double platinum plugs have a blue spark but a orangeish ark. so idk what to do?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member

UPDATE:
just took my truck to get a diognostic done to it and here are the results.

Cylinder misfire detected- random cylinders.
cause:
ignition system fault-spark plug(s)
coil
vacuum leak
high or low fuel pressure.
what am i supposed to do? how can i narrow this down to what needs to be done?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:48 AM
mierze is on a distinguished road

Dont read too deeply into the code. Simple logic will tell you that if your truck ran fine before you swapped the plugs, and it runs jacked up after, the problem is in the plugs. Take them all out and get rid of them. Buy new truck plugs of the proper brand and make sure they are gapped correctly. Just because theyre supposed to be "pre-gapped" doesnt mean they are. If you want, take the time to properly index the plugs for a more efficient burn. Then remove ALL of your ignition wires, coil wire included, and check the terminals in them. Clean them with a small brush, such as a rifle bore cleaner, if needed. Then put a small amount of dielectric grease on the tips of the posts on the distibutor as well as the plugs. Should take care of it.

Also, get a good spark plug gapping tool if you dont have one already. The ones they sell at the cheap parts stores are crap, and wont gap properly. Your gap, I believe, should be set at .045"

Old 07-03-2010, 02:56 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The correct gap is .060" and as we have discussed many, many times here, do yourself a huge favor and use AC/Delco double platinum pugs. Make that change and then let us know how it's running.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Problems