2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 jimmy, fuel pump wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:48 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
That's pretty important fact to know.

Check owner's manual and find inertia sw, bypass it. But the prime suspect is always any changes recently made.

Plus relays and fuses
+1

Originally Posted by waviaerith
I was reading my manual, and it also suggest then when having trouble diagnosing the fuel system. It could be oil pressure related .That if the oil pressure drops down to low, it will will act as a fuel pressure cut-of.

Would that make it so that I'm not getting anything back to the fuel pump?

Furthermore, how can I bipass the oil pressure sensor to test and see if that is it?

(I know oil pressure might not be so common, but hell... with this vehicle I really would not be surprised)

@pettyfog You are very correct, that is very important information. I've been so stressed recently with this truck and other stuff that it slipped my mind. I will try to not forget anything else for you guys.
Shouldn't have to bypass the oil press sender. Does the pump prime when you turn the key on? That will be enough to start - only if the oil press. drops once running will it kill the pump.

I agree with pettyfog. Verify power at the plug on the GREY wire. You're going to need a helper; it will ONLY have power for 2 sec when the key is turned on. Verify continuity to ground on the BLACK wire. If your getting nothing there, move back up the chain. START WHERE THE SPLICE WAS MADE. Then: Inertia SW, Relay, Signal to turn relay ON.

How were the old and new harness connected? Crimp terminals, solder and heatshring, twisting and tape (not that anyone would do that LOL)

If you go through everything, and have power at the connector, you could very well have gotten a bad pump. WARRANTY

Aaron

Last edited by aneill75; 08-27-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 08-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Beginning Member
waviaerith is on a distinguished road

@aneill75 No the pump does not prime. It doesn't make any noise at all. I had a friend help me today and I test the original harness (the point before the splice was made) and there was absolutely no power going to the harness.

The hold harness and new harness were twisted, soldered and heatshrinked, then electrical taped and plastic shrouded.

I went back under the hood and was messing with my fuse box (since my other friend wasn't sure if he messed up when he was testing) I tested the connection for my horn using the audible tone setting on the volt meter (the horn uses the same relay as the fuel) and bingo, works just fine. I tested the connection where the fuel relay goes in (both with key on and off) and NOTHING... I tested it the exact same way on my friend's 2001 sonoma and it tested just fine..

Perhaps the fuse box went bad? likeliness?

since I know there is no electricity from the fuse box area to the harness that connects to the fuel pump. How do I test from the fuse box forward? (aka towards battery) so that I know if my fuse box is bad.

Thanks!

p.s. It may take me longer than preferred to reply since I rely on friends helping me test. Thanks again

Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have continuity from the fuse box back to the appropriate terminal on the new connector?

Maybe this schematic will help you test the fuse box. I have seen a few of them go bad due to shorts and/or misuse in the past.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Beginning Member

Ran tests today, I have voltage going back to the fuel pump, but no amps. any ideas?

Also, if I were to cut the grey (power) wire on the backside of the fuse box, does it matter where I cut it? Will that affect the fuel primer connector?

Last edited by waviaerith; 10-15-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member

Figured out what was wrong!!

I had 6 corroded and breaking wires. I just happened to find them when I was tracing the power wire going to the fuel pump. Rewired those last night and WALA!! it starts! To bad I hadn't found those wires sooner :/