2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 oil check valve??? Special tool??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member
blazerhelp01 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 oil check valve??? Special tool??

I have a 2001 Blazer LT. when its cold the oil gauge at idle is about 40 psi. while driving its about 45-50 psi. when engine warms up to normal operating temp the oil gauge drops to about 10 psi at idle and about 25 psi when driving. I bought a oil check valve and was going to replace this weekend. oil gauge seems to work pretty consistent when either cold or warmed up. does anybody know how hard these are to replace and any special tool i may need to remove it. I heard they can be a real pain. I asked a couple different auto part stores any they had no idea... Please help want to get this oil gauge fixed it is stressing me out.. thank you

Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Your oil pressure is within normal specified limits if that's what your worried about.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member

it seems pretty low?? My buddy's blazer idles about 20-25psi and when driving is about 40-45 psi. and has 10,000 more miles on it. also when driving and come to a stop it looks like it wants to drop to zero almost. but then goes up to about 8 or 10 psi while idle. never saw a vehicle run so low..

Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Beginning Member

it seems to run normal when first started at cool temp.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Beginning Member

why does it drop so low after warm up?? doesn't seem right?? also just changed oil and filter. K&N filter and 5w-30 oil witch is what recommended in manual

Old 03-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The bypass valve is a pressure regulator for the oil. If pressure gets too high, the valve opens, and directs oil back into the oil pan. If the bypass valve sticks open, or the spring is weak or broken, it will cause oil pressure to be low, all the time. If the valve sticks closed, oil pressure will sky rocket, and either the oil filter, or a cooler line, will explode and empty the crankcase in a matter of a few seconds.

The oil filter adapter, at the rear of the engine, must be removed for access to the valve. The valve is pressed into the engine block, and it is staked in place. You heard right, they are a PITA to get out. A slide hammer with a small hook on the end will be your friend to remove the valve.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you so much. love my new blazer but have had probs with it since I bought it like a month ago. dtc po300 showing. but seems to run good. ses light started to flash on freeway. just fixed crank sensor. new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Think I might have a intake manifold leak. idle seems maybe a little low about 500-600. but runs good and plenty of power. could this have to do with possible intake manifold leak??

Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Is it still giving the P0300?
Does the SES light still flash?
What did you do to the crankshaft position sensor?
What brand of parts did you install for the tune up?
Normal idle is ~550 RPM.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

when I bought the blazer it had service engine soon light on. drove and ran great. checked it at o' riellys auto part and scanner said po300 random miss fire and po410 secondary air system. noticed all the vacuum hoses looked bad. so i replaced them and put new plugs in don't remember what kind, auto store recommended them. plug wires were BWE i belive and cap and rotor were ac delco. took to my moms mechanic and the po410 code went away just had the po300 code so they said to replace the crank sensor. had little trouble but talked to you and had diff mechanic install and said he would relearn the crank. not sure if he did.... when i picked the blazer up it still showed the po300. runs fine but light flashes at high rpm/speed. he said there may be a slight air intake leak and this would cause the code to. but im not sure and could this also have any affect on my oil pressure i was talking about?? thinking about replacing oil check valve first to make sure engine is not to bad and has good oil pressure first. no knocking or noise though.. and runs good...

Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

mechanic did say the compression was good on motor. and has great throttle responce and you cant even really tell if there is a miss. One thing i did notice is the tach gauge when you hit about 2000 it bounces up and back down a little bit. but seems to have no effect on motor rev or shifting or way it runs... 2001 blazerLt 4x4

Quick Reply: 2001 oil check valve??? Special tool??