2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 blazer xtreme, o2 sensors

Old 02-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member
Abbyblzrxtreme is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 blazer xtreme, o2 sensors

Hello
I tried posting a question about this already, so sorry if I’m repeating myself, but I couldn’t find the thread/post. So, I have some questions, I own a 2002 Chevy blazer xtreme, 135,000 miles, automatic, I’ve owned it for about 4 years & no major issues. I have expired tags and need to pass deq/emissions but my check engine light has been on for about a year now, and so I can't pass. I borrowed the code reader you see below. I posted the pictures of the 3 codes I am getting. So, I’m going to start with the 02 sensors- since I am getting that code twice - I went to advanced auto and I bought 2 oxygen sensors, brand Denso (I hope this is an ok brand) because they were $60 each. So I've read that I could switch the sensors I already have and see if the codes stay the same or change. However, I don’t have the code reader anymore and I did already buy the parts. So I was just going to go for it. But there are 3 sensors under the car, and the reader I used, doesn’t seem to me, to tell me which sensors I need to change? An employee, at Orilleys, told me over the phone it was bank 1 and bank 2, but I notice other peoples code readers seem to have more information then the one I used. Does anyone have any suggestions about which sensors I should change out? It sounds to me like bank 1 and 2- which I read on here, there is one on the passenger side and drivers side. Then there is a 3rd sensor in the back. Before I start I would love if anyone had any input or suggestion. The maf I was going to do after, but was hoping I could get through deq after changing these sensors out first. Since the part for the MAF is like $160.00 I figured I would start here. Maybe need to change it all out to get through emissions tho, I don't know. Also, the parts came with grease, Im assuming you put that on the threads of the sensor and then screw it in? Ok thank you for reading and for any suggestions! Peace

Maf

02 sensor but I’m not sure if it’s bank 1, 2, or 3?

Another 02 sensor code, bank 1,2, or 3?

Last edited by Abbyblzrxtreme; 02-07-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0155 - Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit (bank 2, sensor 1)
The P0155 02/03 is the second code set. The P0155 P 03/03 is an additional pending P0155 which is odd.

Bank 2 sensor 1 is the sensor that is located between the exhaust manifold and the 'y' in the y-pipe on the passenger side of the motor.

If you already have new O2 sensors, go ahead and replace both of the upstream sensors. The upstream sensors are the ones closest to the engine exhaust manifolds and are one of the inputs the engine control module uses in determining fuel delivery needs. Your truck may have 2 other sensors, but likely only has one after the catalytic converter. Do not replace the post-cat sensor unless you get a code stating that it is bad and troubleshooting steps have proved that to be the case. The post-cat sensors will not cause driveability concerns when they start to go out like the pre-cat sensors will.

P0101 - Mass Air Flow System Performance

Since this is the first code, that means that it was set prior to the P0155, but given what triggers P0155, I doubt that they are related and, in my opinion, can be handled separately. Most often, this code sets when the MAF sensor has gotten dirty. If your truck has ever had an aftermarket, oiled air filter, the oils used on these filters can gum up the hot-wire sensor bulbs used in the MAF sensor. A little bit of disassembly/cleaning with some sensor safe carbon cleaner (or MAF specific cleaner) and you can sometimes bring them back. If the little sensors inside are really gunked up you sometimes have to lightly scrub them with a q-tip soaked in the cleaner, but be careful. If you break off a sensor wire inside, the MAF will have to be replaced.

Another source of this code could be a vacuum leak in the intake system somewhere between the MAF sensor and the rest of the engine. This can sometimes be a result of a poor seal on the intake 'hat' (the piece that mounts to the top of the throttle body). It could also be a torn/broken vacuum line somewhere in the system. Given that you have an Xtreme, you do not have to worry about the 4wd vacuum system issues that others have to so that simplifies things a bit, but you still have vacuum operated items in the HVAC system, the brake booster, and the vacuum reservoir inside the driver side fender that could have damage. It is fairly easy to visually inspect what's under the hood.

Let us know if you have any questions as well as what you find when you start digging into things.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you so much, this was very helpful! Time to dive into it wish me luck, and l'm sure I'll be back with more questions lol. I'll start with the first two sensors and let you know what happens. Thanks again!!!!

Old 02-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member
Arrow update on my 02 sensor problem

Hey,
So, just to let anyone know who's interested, I worked all day on my blazer and was unsuccessful changing the sensors out. I lifted the truck and located both upstream sensors. They were easy to find but one is difficult to get to. The wiring was not as easy to get to as all the videos I've watched, next time I raise my truck I gotta lift it higher so I can really get to the clip. However, Unfortunately, both the sensors are stuck and won't budge. So, I ran the engine for 10 min and tried again. I also tapped the socket wrench handle with a hammer and tapped on the 02 sensor itself, after that I was out of ideas. So, I took my truck down, it was getting dark and I need to go buy some spray and just try again tomorrow. I guess PB blaster? I just don't know, if the spray doesn't work, I probably won't be taking a torch to it and will end up needing to pay somebody. I really want to do this myself tho, so any suggestions on getting these stuck oxygen sensors out? Im glad I didn't cut the wires or disconnect anything, because now I can still use my truck. Unless, you can drive without them, but yah. Thats where I'm at. Thanks for reading

Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

The only way I ever gotten something freed that's preaty mics welded lol, would be spray it about 30 times over a few hours, then get then hot and a line wrench with a pipe...

good luck... they suck lol... I rather replace the pipe with it...

Old 02-17-2019, 01:51 AM
Beginning Member
Default Questions on lifting and getting out stuck 02 sensor

Ok here is one of my stuck 02 sensors, I spent the most time working on this one. Kinda hard to get to, especially the wire harness is stuck above the metal, so I need more space to get up in there. The other sensor is out in the open, but also stuck lol

This is how I want to jack it up. Is this dangerous? I don’t have a lot of options and this would give me the most space to work and lift. So I’m going to try to lift it and put the jack stands on the level part of the sidewalk. Is this a good idea?

This is where I lifted it last time, but I was cramped and could hardly use the lift cause I had no room on the sides, but it was more level the the sidewalk.

This is where I tried to lift the front endthe ce,

Last edited by Abbyblzrxtreme; 02-17-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Add a photo
Old 02-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Beginning Member
Default Today I fixed 1 oxygen sensor! Finally unstuck

Me and the pb blaster that saved my life today

My sketchy lift job lol both tired off the ground

Finally got it out!!!

today I finally got 1 sensor out and put the new one in!! I sprayed it with pb blaster about 6 times and ran the engine for 40 min. 20 min and then another 20 min, then I cut the wires so I could use a 7/8ths wrench and worked it back and fourth with only a inch or less of room to move it, but I tapped it with a hammer and it finally budged. From their the sensor wrench did the rest. I’m so stoked, I put the new one in, using the grease it came with, its real hard not to hit the top of the sensor on anything when putting it back. So I hope I didn’t hurt it. Anyways, doing the sensor on the drivers side tomorrow, since I ended up finished in the dark tonight!!!
thanks for everybody’s help!
~abby

Last edited by Abbyblzrxtreme; 02-17-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Picture got deleted
Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Congrats... good to hear it finally came out...

Old 02-18-2019, 10:45 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

BTW, nice Blazer Extreme!!! It's good to be very careful about jacking a vehicle and then getting under!! Glad to see that jack stand in the photo.

O2 sensors may or may not fix your problem, but I commend your persistence and that you didn't screw things up getting them out. Be sure to come back if there are still problems. We are here to help people help themselves. You may need to get your own scanner before this is over. If so I can recommend if you have an Android phone. $30-$45 total, depending on the app that you use. BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter as sold on Amazon and Car Gauge Pro app (but Torque Pro or Dash Command might be easier to use for a beginner). Pick your poison. These apps are $5 to $20 max to read most of the GM specific OBD2 Powertrain PIDs (PIDs = Parameter IDs), something the cheap handhelds won't do (they only do the universal OBD2 PIDs). Good luck and best wishes for a successful repair. FYI Torque Pro at $5 is missing an important GM specific PID for Blazers (cam sensor retard), but otherwise is quite good and has a nice interface. You can always add another app later if you need the Cam Sensor Retard PID.

Like Swartlkk said, try cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF Sensor Cleaner for the P0101. Remove the MAF sensor for cleaning and don't touch the wire. And see if that corrects the P0101 problem. Also the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) Sensor being off can trigger a P0101 (as it is used in the calculation for the test), so you can display that PID on the scanner and make sure the barometric pressure displayed makes sense when the engine is shut off with key on. We can give you approximate values for the MAF sensor at idle and different RPMs, but you would need to have a way of displaying the value your PCM is seeing - again another PID. These two PIDs should be on any scanner device (more than a code reader), as they are universal and not GM specific PIDs. MAF should be around 5 g/sec at idle.

Have you found the OBD2 code descriptions and diagnostics found here: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-26408/

p.s. I see your original post was moved to the new members area by a moderator. You can always click on your name in this forum - then go to statistics to pull up all of your old posts. You did right to start a new thread here in the second gen forum.

p.p.s. You could turn your vehicle around and straddle that dip in the road to give you even more room - but then you would have to lay in the gutter. I've done it before.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:50 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Good job Abby! I am crushed & amazed with women who know how to successfully turn wrenches. They are like unicorns. I've never meet any here, in Poland.

The bottom of the oil pan / sway bar seem to be wet/oiled. As far as I remember, there is a skid plate underneath, so this shiny substance didn't come from the bottom. If You have it jacked, You may check for the leaks.

Like Les says, getting a cheap BAFX dongle will let You diagnose more accurate and safe Your time & money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 blazer xtreme, o2 sensors