2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 chevy blazer LS cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Starting Member
pevytoe is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 chevy blazer LS cranks but won't start

Hello everyone, this is my first time doing this and to be honest this is my last hope of fixing my vehicle before i lose my mine....lol I was driving and the car dies, i pull it over and try to restart it and it did, but then died. ever since then all it does is crank, acts like it is out of gas, but just filled it up. when i turn the key over i can hear the fuel pump hum, so i don't think this is it, my battery isn't losing charge and everything works in the vehicle (e.g. radio, windows lights etc...) so i don't think its the battery or alternator. I'm no mechanic, i use google to fix what i can, but it gets the job done. i did have to change out my power steering pump could i have done something to cause this problem i am having now? Please help

Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Do you have any trouble codes? If not, I would start with the fuel pressure/leakdown test you can find at the link in the bottom of my signature block. Just follow Captain Hook's directions.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the fuel pump is done for. Just because you can hear it running, actually means nothing. If the fuel pump has never been changed...it is due. Or if someone installed a non Delco fuel pump, like an AirTex or something, they usually only last a few months.

Replacing the fuel pump has one really difficult part; and that is getting the filler hose off of the tank without cutting it.

Replacement of the power steering pump causing this???....nothing that I can think of.

Good luck.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
Do you have any trouble codes? If not, I would start with the fuel pressure/leakdown test you can find at the link in the bottom of my signature block. Just follow Captain Hook's directions.
Could this be a way to quickly check the fuel pump working or not?

Release the pressure from the schrader valve, confirm fuel or no fuel coming out. Prime pump again by turning the ignition on or try starting vehicle. Then release the schrader valve again to see if there is fuel coming out. Only say this because she can hear the pump running. Again the pump could only be pumping 20lbs or less of pressure.

Not sure if that would work, just trying give ideas for those without fuel pressure gauges etc.....

Old 04-29-2018, 01:34 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

It wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel filter. Then cycle the ign. key several times on and off without cranking the engine. This allows the fuel pump to fill the new filter and build up pressure. Then turn the key so the engine will spin the starter. If it still won't start, it will confirm what others have suggested. The fuel pump is not building up enough pressure and you are going to need a new one. Most here on this forum recommend AC Delco or Delphi brand pumps only. Be sure to get the complete assembly with a new wiring harness and fuel level swing arm package.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Zenith: your idea works only when the fuel pump is barely working, for the reason you stated. Difficult for a person to really know if there is 20 psi, 40 psi or 60 psi, especially if the person is "new" at this.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:54 AM
Starting Member
perumotors1369 is on a distinguished road

tough to know what the pressure is, without a gauge, even if you've done this 50 times..borrow/beg/buy a fuel pressure gauge, if you're going to chase this yourself..Jerry

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Pevytoe, how many miles on your 2002 Blazer LS?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

You need proper fuel spark and air for your truck to run right.

You need to test the fuel pressure as stated above. The initial level to tell you if the pump, filter, regulator, lines and injectors are capable of developing the proper initial pressure and then the leak down test to make sure that none of those components are leaking and preventing the system from maintaining the minimum operating pressure.

You need to check for a strong 1" blue spark at one of the plugs while cranking with a properly grounded spark tester. If that fails then you work backwards toward the ignition module through the distributor cap and coil.

Once you figure out which one of those two is wrong then you go further to determine the cause.

Also as asked above, go to a parts store and have them pull any codes from the ODBII port.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 05-07-2018 at 05:55 AM.