2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 chevy blazer shakes at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Drksarrge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chevy33
It might be a good idea to take a look at the gear on the distributor.
Dualy noted thank you what would I be looking for tho? Corrosion? Connection?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by ksimpson
I had a similar problem. One of my fuel injectors was bad, put in the spider and now it runs brand new.
I've heard blazer spiders go bad I just have no clue what they are and didn't know it could cause an engine dance

Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road

Once you pull the distributor out look at the teeth on the gear. If they look like they are sharp they are worn badly. First take off the distributor cap. Rotate the crankshaft so the rotor is pointing to the raised number 6 on the distributor, pointing to the left. Now look at the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. If the timing on the balancer is close but not dead on 0 rotate to 0 as per the timing chain cover. Now look at the rotor again. Is the rotor pointing at the 6? Wiggle the rotor. Is there play? If the rotor does not land pointing at the raised 6 it can be one of three things. The timing is off by one tooth.. The distributor gear is worn badly. The outer ring on the balancer has slipped..

For the timing mark to 0 rotate the crank past the first line reference on the balancer to the second line. The second line is for tdc on cyl 1.

I'm suggesting you to check this because it we all should check the easy to check things first. Diagnosis is a process of elimination. Start with the simple things first.
Here is what you are looking for. To the left side of each tooth you may be able to see the step.

Last edited by Chevy33; 10-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Drksarrge
Hi guys I have scowered the forums and try's everything my car still shakes like death!

It's a 2002 chevy blazer ls 4x4 with 144000km on it I bought it used and had the following done

Distributed cap and rotor changed
New spark plugs and wires
Oil change
Coolant flush
Transmission flush
Power steering flush
Ran 2 bottles of fuel system cleaners
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced air filter
Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned mass airflow censor
Checked fuses

I cannot find any vacuum leaks

My car shakes very rough intermittently at idle sometimes it's not to bad and other times the vehicle vibrates and the engine almost dies. It makes the lights surge slightly when it happens. There is no check engine light but I know it's not suppose to do this! Also when I accelerate it doesn't hear down well
With that low of mileage I don't think your distributor gear will be worn. If it was worn it would give you the most problems under load.

I would check fuel pressure and leakdown.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Drksarrge
Hi guys I have scowered the forums and try's everything my car still shakes like death!

It's a 2002 chevy blazer ls 4x4 with 144000km on it I bought it used and had the following done

Distributed cap and rotor changed
New spark plugs and wires
Oil change
Coolant flush
Transmission flush
Power steering flush
Ran 2 bottles of fuel system cleaners
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced air filter
Cleaned throttle body
Cleaned mass airflow censor
Checked fuses

I cannot find any vacuum leaks

My car shakes very rough intermittently at idle sometimes it's not to bad and other times the vehicle vibrates and the engine almost dies. It makes the lights surge slightly when it happens. There is no check engine light but I know it's not suppose to do this! Also when I accelerate it doesn't hear down well
Oh and one more probably important detail I'm only getting a little over 300km per tank of gas....

Old 01-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Starting Member
jtronka is on a distinguished road
Question 1995 chevy blazer check engine light on car shakes violently

I don't know what is going on. Made it home yesterday after check engine light came on. Went out to start it today my 1995 chevy blazer with the check engine light as I turned the key and when pressing the accelerator a little the car shakes violently. Any ideas