2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2005 Chevy Blazer 4.3 check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM
RedandBlack420 is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 Chevy Blazer 4.3 check engine light on

I bought a blazer with 186000kms on it about 3 months ago, it has had no problems except for the fuel pump I had to replace. Unfortunately this morning I started my truck up and the check engine light came on. I've checked all my fluids, checked my fuses (somewhat), and driven it all day, with no problems, but I don't have the money to replace a part if something goes on it. Anyone know where I can get a diagnostics test done for free? Or is there any easy quick fixes? Any info would be sick

Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Most parts stores in the US will read your check engine light codes for no charge. I am going to guess that with 186,000 kms on the clock, that you are not located in the US...

Your location may be helpful

Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

You could scrape up the money for a part, may have to skip the "420" for a couple weeks though....

But yeah most auto parts stores will read codes for you for free in hopes that you will buy a part from them.

As long as the light isnt blinking and you arent noticing any major performance issues you are ok to drive until you can get it fixed, however gas mileage may suffer and cost you the price of the part in just a couple weeks.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 AM
bdeturck13 is on a distinguished road

I didn't know that in 05 they made blazers with 4.3's in them.... I thought at that point it had switched to the TrailBlazer with the straight 4.2 in it..... if it's one of those, i'm going to guess that since you haven't experienced any issues, more than likely it's probably a "cam phazing" error, which means the exhaust cam is not being retarded by the computer correctly, which will cause poor fuel economy.... it's a common issue, sometimes caused by bad or low oil, or a cam timing sensor

Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 AM
burned is on a distinguished road

He is most likely in Canada.

2005 is the last year for Blazers (USA) /Jimmys (Canada)

Until you get the code read...its a guessing game as to what is going on with your engine.

You could check the fuel pressure and leak down if you have a gauge.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:27 PM
akaSPITTYBAYS is on a distinguished road

Just get one of these. It does nothing but read the straight code.
Then at least you have someplace to start.

Car Diagnostic Scanner Tool U480 Can OBDII OBD2 Memo Engine Fault Code Reader | eBay

Old 04-09-2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by burned
He is most likely in Canada.

2005 is the last year for Blazers (USA) /Jimmys (Canada)

Until you get the code read...its a guessing game as to what is going on with your engine.

You could check the fuel pressure and leak down if you have a gauge.

You're right that I'm from Canada, and I'm still driving my truck but fuel is kinda getting guzzled so I feel like maybe oxygen sensor or something. I also tried a free diagnostic, and the port under my dashboard apparently has no power being supplied to it or not enough for a connection anyways

Old 04-09-2015, 09:20 AM
akaSPITTYBAYS is on a distinguished road

Odd, try someplace different that has an different scan tool. Until you find the codes your just "flock shooting" and lighting hundred dollar BILL'S.
I have watched guy's at parts store's that just don't know how to use there own machine. Or enter the wrong protocol settings and just shrug and walk away.
Monkeys with car key's.

PS is your gas cap on tight?

Last edited by akaSPITTYBAYS; 04-09-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:06 AM

I always keep my gas cap on tight, and you're absolutely right the guy wasn't even really paying attention to what he was doing. One thing though I heard is there's a sequence that you can do to show problems on the dashboard; that you can find in a mechanics manual. Like pump brake or gas three times, etc.etc

Old 04-18-2015, 12:29 AM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

No way to display codes on these without some kind of scantool or code-reader, ive been working on all kinds of GM vehicles for years, only thing you could ever do without a scantool was jump a couple pins in the diagnostic connector with a paper clip and it would blink trouble codes with a morse-code kind of flashing of the check engine light, pretty much only used from about 82-94 and some 95s, after that you need a scantool for sure.
On to your scanner "not powering on" issue.....You need to test fuses in your fuse block under the hood, pretty sure there is a fuse in there that sends power to the diagnostic connector, if you find that fuse and fix it then the generic parts store scanner should work. This circuit is usually connected to the cigarett lighter and power jacks, if they also arent working then youve probably found your problem, look for a fuse in the fuse block labeled CIGAR or something along those lines.
Hope this helps
Good luck

Quick Reply: 2005 Chevy Blazer 4.3 check engine light on