2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

#3 spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road
Default #3 spark plug

How the helll are you supposed to change the #3 plug with the damn steering in the way?

Old 06-24-2016, 01:49 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I put the socket without anything on it on the plug, then using an ext. from the fender well i can get a good enough bite to pop it loose

Old 06-24-2016, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've tried all the ways that are supposed to work, can't get any of them to. I just unbolt the steering shaft, take it off the box, and move it up out of the way. Sucks for sure, but it's not like you're changing plugs every week.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Starting Member

Cleburne how do I unbolt the steering shaft to take it off?
I've tried the other ways and it worked for the 96 but this '01 the shaft is dead center of the plug.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:42 PM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road

hey, so there is a plastic container around steering part you need to access.

It's a matter of finding the tabs and spreading open the plastic piece.

after opening up like a egg shell I removed it by pulling it down or something to that effect.

MAKE SURE STEERING WHEEL IS STRAIGHT.

Once open you will see a bolt - Forgot 9/16 or what have you.

I removed the bolt then lifted up on steering shaft or PUSHED SHAFT back towards rear of truck. Can't recall if it was telescopic or not.

I made sure to then access the plug through the wheel well with truck jacked up on that side. Went right in.

I tried all other ways and just bit the bullet and did it this way.

make sure it goes back together same way

Probably a good idea to use lock tight on bolt when putting it back in.

Put plastic cover back on.

Search for tune up on site I found info that way on this procedure, hope this helps

Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Starting Member

Thanks joejiz, I'll try it tomorrow

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member
Markolc is on a distinguished road

If you got your truck up on stands with the front wheel off, jack up the engine just a bit. That will also give you just enough room to get in there through the wheel well with a swivel and extension, and you don't have to remove the steering shaft. Of course if you remove the shaft, you won't need the swivel, possibly even the extension.

I just did this two nights ago.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Beginning Member
blazer47 is on a distinguished road

buy a socket that has a 5 point end on it so you can slip a open end wrench on it. make sure you slip the steering wheel shaft plastic sleeve up for more room and turn the steering wheel to an area where the flattest part of it give you the most room.

or

snap on sells a socket for just that plug, it sells for around $50. I borrow mine from my neighbor who is a GM service manager. maybe you can make a "friend" at a local dealer or buy him lunch to borrow it overnight?

good luck it can be done.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazer47
snap on sells a socket for just that plug, it sells for around $50. I borrow mine from my neighbor who is a GM service manager. maybe you can make a "friend" at a local dealer or buy him lunch to borrow it overnight?

good luck it can be done.
I never realized how much of a problem that plug would be if you didn't have the right socket for the job. When I changed my plugs, that one wasn't a problem at all.

I use a Craftsman 43322 "flex" spark plug socket, Craftsman 5/8 in. Spark Plug Socket 6 pt. Flex

The same basic socket is also available from GearWrench, part # 80404, GearWrench 80404 3/8-Inch Drive Swivel Spark Plug Socket 5/8-Inch

The SnapOn one is overpriced. It's an "offset" socket, kind of like one of the deep O2 sensor sockets, but without the slot. Socket, Spark Plug, Offset, 5/8", 12-poin

Last edited by Racer_X; 06-25-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Fixed and updated links
Old 06-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Starting Member

Thanks guys for the help.
Another quick question.
I changed all my plugs and wires and now it's running rough, I gaped the plugs at .060 like the manual said but the ones I pulled out were gaped at .045.

Is this a common problem/ issue

Quick Reply: #3 spark plug