2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

3rd Wheel Bearing in 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3rd Wheel Bearing in 6 months

Hey guys... Ok - I'm having the 3rd Wheel Bearing replaced (same wheel)in 6 months... I replaced the first one, then it went bad again... I had a professional mechanic do it the 2nd time, and it happened again. Now it's in the shop again getting it's 3rd bearing in 6 months!!! What's going on here?!?

I don't have a lift on the truck, to my knowledge it's all stock except the BF Goodrich A/T 30's I put on3 months ago...

Any ideas of what could be causing the same bearing to go out over and over again in such short amount of time?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 3rd Wheel Bearing in 6 months

Check the ball joints on the opposite side as the bearing-eating wheel. Also what brand bearings are you getting put in?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Check the ball joints on the opposite side as the bearing-eating wheel. Also what brand bearings are you getting put in?
Thanks for the response!!
Check the ball joints on the opposite sides? What am I looking for? Would they just be shot?

I think my mechanic gets them from NAPA. He said they were good quality... This time - he is trying a "different" brand... Not sure what it is, though...

Old 01-22-2008, 01:11 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Basically when your ball joints are failing, they put extra stress on everything else, and I've heard a few people mention their ball joints caused the opposite side bearing to fail. It would probably be a good idea to check both sides since youre having some issues.

To check them, youre looking for play in the joint.

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The upper ball joints can be checked with the vehicle on the ground as well, but you will need to turn the wheels all the way in one direction and place a pry bar under the upper control arm at the steering knuckle. If you get any movement out of the upper control arm at the joint, your joint is shot. For the lower ball joint, you should lift the front wheels off the ground and support the vehicle with jack stands on the frame rails. Then use a long 2x4 on edge to lift up on the wheel while looking at the lower ball joint. If you can see any movement between the lower control arm and the steering knucle, you have a bad joint.
Run a search on here for ball joint and you should get a few posts about how to tell if theyre bad as opposed to CVs or tie rod ends, etc. All of which I'm assuming could be contributing to your bearing eating machine.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, make sure that the axle nut is being torqued to the correct spec. If it is being over or undertorqued it can cause bearing failure also!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 PM

Just an update, and a frustrating one at that... Well, since the last bearing replacement about 3 months ago - I started hearing the hum of the bearings again... Took it in to the same shop and they told me that the OTHER bearing is bad now...

Last time I had it in there they told me that everything in the front is "tight" and there isn't anything wrong... But my bearings are still going. Something is definitely wrong.

I have a front end shake at speeds over 60mph... And they can't figure out what that could be, either... I think these problems are related... Something that's making the truck shake at higher speeds and that shake is causing the bearings to go out?!?

Is this possible? I'm just getting a little frustrated... They are good guys over at the shop and have been good to me over the years...