2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4.3 distributor in a 5.7?

Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM
954.3 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3 distributor in a 5.7?

I have a 97 silverado with a 5.7 engine. I was told by a mechanic that it needs a new distributor.
I have a new distributor that I bought for my 96 s10 blazer with a 4.3 engine, and then never needed it. It has a 6 and an 8 stamped on the distributor base for pointing the rotor to.
If I buy a pick-up coil for the 97 5.7 and put it in that distributor can I use that distributor in the 5.7 that's in my 97 silverado?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

There is no pickup coil in these distributors. Coil is triggered by crankshaft sensor and PCM through the Ignition Control Module (which is separate from the distributor).

6 cylinder distributor could not work in a V8 because the windows/teeth for the (Hall effect) cam position sensor are for a 6 cylinder, even if the V8 cap would fit and all the angles/positions were correct. The basic outer housing, rotor and cam sensor may be the same for both V8 and V6 (I don't really know this for fact), but the internal rotating shaft and the cap are definitely not the same. However, it would explain both the 6 and 8 markings on the housing of your replacement distributor.

Just buy one of these and put a Delco cap/rotor on it. You'll be very happy!

https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...6672-bk_89683/

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-13-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
There is no pickup coil in these distributors. Coil is triggered by crankshaft sensor and PCM through the Ignition Control Module (which is separate from the distributor).

6 cylinder distributor could not work in a V8 because the windows/teeth for the (Hall effect) cam position sensor are for a 6 cylinder, even if the V8 cap would fit and all the angles/positions were correct. The basic outer housing, rotor and cam sensor may be the same for both V8 and V6 (I don't really know this for fact), but the internal rotating shaft and the cap are definitely not the same. However, it would explain both the 6 and 8 markings on the housing of your replacement distributor.

Just buy one of these and put a Delco cap/rotor on it. You'll be very happy!

https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...6672-bk_89683/

What do they call the part in the distributor that the wire plug connects to on the outside of the distributor on a 97 5.7?
It would probably cost as much for that part as it would to buy that distributor you suggested.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:33 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 954.3
What do they call the part in the distributor that the wire plug connects to on the outside of the distributor on a 97 5.7?
It would probably cost as much for that part as it would to buy that distributor you suggested.

Thanks a lot for your help.
That is the cam position sensor. Its for timing the sequential fuel injection pulses and for cylinder ID during misfire detection. Will still run without it being plugged in (by fuel injection pulsing banks of injectors), but SES light will definitely be on.

A 5.7 cam sensor and distributor cap will not fix the 4.3 distributor to work in your 5.7. You also need the 5.7 shaft with the v-8 hall effect windows for the cam sensor. In fact cam sensors are probably the same - v6 or v8. You could check on Rock Auto.

Yeah, they're Chinese distributors, but they seem to be good ones. Lots of people using them, including myself. Hard to go wrong with that price. 35K miles so far on mine. I did tighten up my shaft end-play with shims a bit - but be careful not to go too tight.

One last thing - have you heard of checking/adjusting cam sensor retard as being important for proper operation of the fuel injection? You can search for it here on this forum. Should be 0° ± 2° You will need a capable scanner. Know that Dash Command is the only inexpensive software that will display cam sensor retard on your 1997 5.7. For Android interface of Dash Command I recommend the BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter as sold on Amazon. For the iPhone version of Dash Command, I have no interface recommendation but it should be WiFi. You will need to purchase the program for $10 + $10 more for the enhanced GM PIDs after you hook up to your vehicle. Total should be about $40-$45 for all, and you will be amazed what you can do. For a 1998+ vehicle, Car Gauge Pro comes with enhanced GM PIDs for $8.99 that will do cam sensor retard - but won't do the enhanced PIDs on the earlier vehicles. In Dash command you have to pay $10 for each set of enhanced GM PIDs (each vehicle).

I have both and use both apps. They each have their benefits. Car Gauge Pro has the additional benefit of reading/clearing codes for some other modules on the data bus such as BCM/HVAC/TCCM/ABS/SIR, etc and I find this incredibly useful (for example diagnosing the right side heater blend door on my 2004 Avalanche will dual-zone auto climate control - code b0414). But not sure what it will do on a 1996-1997 - my Blazer is a 2001. For $8.99 I would just try it if you have any interest in other systems on the databus. Be forewarned it is not a slick as Dash Command, and a your test choices are not filtered (you will see and select tons of things that you cannot do). It's a try and see thing. but for $8.99 what do you expect. legit TECH 1 scanners are thousands of dollars, and the Torque app does not do all that much on a Blazer V-6 or a Vortec V8.

Good luck.

Last edited by LesMyer; 12-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer
That is the cam position sensor. Its for timing the sequential fuel injection pulses and for cylinder ID during misfire detection . Will still run without it being plugged in (by fuel injection pulsing banks of injectors), but SES light will definitely be on.

Thank you Les Myer for your help.
I'm going to go ahead and order that distributor. For the price, why not.