2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4.3 fuel spider question

Old 05-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member
Bhahn25 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3 fuel spider question

So how often should fuel spiders be replaced? I have read somewhere that you should every 30,000. Is there any truth to that? Also they make the new electronic spider will that make it anymore fuel efficient or add any performance or is it just a better design?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Technically they should never need replacing, however the hose material between the injector and controller wears out and leaks. I have 200,000 miles on my Blazer and replaced the spider once. At $300 a pop I dont plan on changing them unless I absolutely have too.

Better design.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Beginning Member

Yea thats what I figured. Well mine has 178000 and idk if it has been done before. But I changed my plugs today and they looked pretty rich. But I also had a faulty regulator I just replaced so I imagine it's from that

Old 05-09-2011, 01:52 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

probably. That is a common issue with the spiders. I replaced mine, again, a couple months back. Noticeable improvement. Haven't had to touch it since then.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member

Well do you have any idea what your fuel pressure is? Mine is 55/60. That's low I think

Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

nah 55/60 is about right for start up. it'll drop about 9psi once running.

Fuel pressure regulator only controls the pressure getting to the injectors. Assuming the regulator is doing its job, then the amount of fuel pumped into the piston is controled by a host of sensors, which ultimately control how long the injector stays open. Longer its open the more fuel it pumps into teh piston.

Best check to see if your spider is leaking is to pull the upper intake manifold off and look at teh lower intake for non-carbon areas. Where ever gas leaks there will be no carbon build up. That is your leaky hose. Plus that gas will seap into the piston during the non firing stroke, and get pushed into the exhaust port where it will ignite in your cat thus causing permanent damage leading to a new cat. Best check to see if your spider is leaking and fix it early. Yes I have replaced the cat.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Starting Member
BresBlazy will become famous soon enough

I replaced mine trying to find the answer to another issue, I dont think I needed to at 125000 miles but Im glad I did because once I got the old one out it looked pretty bad, I would not replace it unless you need to, def not every 30,000 miles. its not that big a deal to take off the upper man and take a look at it if you have the time.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Beginning Member

Well I'll say this I had a starting problem. And it ended up being a faulty regulator which when I took off the upper intake manifold the back 3rd of the lower manifold was carbon free and clean and the front half was black. So I replaced my regulator which fixed my starting because it was flooding my motor out but my spider might be bad also I think im gonna try replacing it. But if my regulator was leaking is it a good possibility that my cat is clogged and also if it is how could I tell?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran

This wont casue the cat to plug, it actually breaks up the honeycomb structure int eh cat casuing what is described as a plugged up cat. result is air wont flow properly.

On my '00 my CEL light would flash at me. According to my owners manual, a flashing CEL means I am causing permanent damage to my cat.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Beginning Member

O ok. Well every now and then mine will throw an engine code saying system is too lean (bank 1). But then it will go off. it's done it twice on me. So that's why I think it might be my fuel spider. Also, I installed a cold air on my blazer and it seems like the low end is worse now. Maybe because I'm not getting enough fuel to compensate for the increase of air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.3 fuel spider question