2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4.3 Vortec top end knock

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

If the lifter is dying, then the valves are not fully closed, so it may behave similar to a vacuum leak (like hesitation or bogging).

Depending on Your confidence of the LIM gaskets job quality, I would consider getting the lifters out for inspection. You might have some metal debris grinding Your entire engine inside... Did You notice any oil pressure drop together with the knocking effect?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 PM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ForeverStomp
The only thing I did when the valve covers were off was I checked to see if any rocker nuts came loose which they didn’t but I feel as tho I may have snugged them up to much.

You may have snugged them up to much when? They have a proper torque spec, not a guess.
You may have snugged them up to much at the time you did the LIM gaskets?
Or, when you rebuilt the engine.

Again, I'm not sure if you rebuilt the engine or had it rebuilt, if you did, then I'm assuming you know how to properly adjust the valves prior to starting the engine.

If you had the engine built and you're not familiar with the valve train, I hope you didn't snug any rocker arms up this time around with the proper torquing sequence.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 PM
ForeverStomp is on a distinguished road

Just an update. Yes I fully built the motor myself. Those rockers r a torque to yield at 20 ft pounds so it’s kinda hard to mess up but anyways. Pulled the pushrods out. Had a bent pushrod on cylinder 4 intake side. Still knocked a as I got a new one. Decided to replace that lifter Incase it got messed up however it still knocks a slight amount. I did see if any lifters were broken and all seem to compress and pump oil. But I let them soak in oil and cleaned the bores out with oil. So I’m stumped at this point. Next step it to just replace all lifter again which sucks. Since they r fairly new along with pushrods.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Push rods just don't just get bent.
Do a compression check to check for a bent valve.
If cyl 4 is low or no compression you prob have a bent valve.
Scenario I see is while you was changing lower intake gasket part of the gasket or A large chunk of carbon or something was missed and left in the intake opening in the head.
First opening of the valve it got lodged in-between the valve and seat holding the valve open.
The first stroke of the piston to TDC the valve was bent by the piston bending the push rod either then or during the next stroke

Last edited by odat; 01-12-2019 at 02:56 AM.