2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil cooler lines on '99 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:18 PM
cemeteryman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil cooler lines on '99 Blazer

Glad I found this site - you have some great suggestions and have given me confidence to tackle fixing my oil cooler lines. It sure seems the leak is at the crimp and not from the o-ring in the oil cooler itself. My question is - should I take off old lines and have local automotive store put on new hoses ( they fix hydraulic hoses) on the old connectors? These lines look too good to be the original ones and are now leaking again. The line from engine block to oil filter connector does not leak, just the one from oil cooler to oil filter so this is the only one I will change. What's your opinion-buy new or repair old ones? Thanks in advance for replies.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Oil cooler lines on '99 Blazer

The correct replacement hoses has a triple crimp on the fittings. Don't use the double crimp version.
If the shop does hydraulic hoses, no doubt they got the skills to fix your lines.

Glad you found us. We try.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Beginning Member
Heffty is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have a 99 Blazer and have been told to change my cooler lines. A budy of mine who owns a 96 chevy pickup just had his truck in for service. He too had to have his cooler lines changed and this was going to be the 3rd time. The mechanic suggested just illiminating the cooler lines. So he did. My budy has has no problems for a few months now due to this castration. The mechanic has also suggested I do the same thing.

If this is highly disagreed upon here, what exactly do I need to tell the mechanic in order to illiminate the possibility of having to change my cooler lines every year too? Do I just tell him I want those lines with the 3 crimps or something like what was said above? Thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 AM

What would all have to be done to eliminate the oil cooler lines? Sounds like a great idea if it's possible.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, by removing your cooler lines, you remove the oil cooler in the radiator. Every bit of cooling that can take place is a good thing. Other than that, I'd make sure that you can fit a filter up at the block...

So long as you replace your lines with the tripple crimped ones, you shouldn't have a problem. It sounds like the mechanics around you are using cheap parts.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus if you eliminate those lines you will eliminate the filter also!! You don't want to do that!! Of course this is for 4WD applications. Korey.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:16 AM
KLBlazer07 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much is the repair? Mine are starting to leak as well. Gonna get it fixed.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM

If I could just cap the lines to the cooler (which are the only ones leaking now) and still keep the filter in the front would be ideal if possible. The front ones are probably the easiest to change so I have ordered them from Rock Auto.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member
oshkosh is an unknown quantity at this point

My 95 wasnt leaking and the line let go on my G.F on the way to work one day(Old style double crimp) What a mess, just glad she noticed the oil and shut it down and coasted into the garage without hurting the motor....I think the cost of having the shop do it with Factory GM triple crimp lines was about $150-with new oil and filter etc which I thought was resonable since I wasnt driving anywhere else....

Old 02-08-2007, 11:24 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Good catch.
I also have the leaky lines, however I haven't done anything with them yet. I will deal with them this spring.

Just for your info and peace of mind.
GM has installed a oil pressure switch on our trucks. If the oil pressure gets too low, it kills the fuel pump. No fuel and the engine wont run. Engine not running and it wont burn up due to lack of oil.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler lines on '99 Blazer