2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'99 runs like it's in molasses when full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:49 PM
ned4spd8874 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry '99 no power when in gear and full throttle

I've had this problem for a few months now (4-5) and I'm starting to get worried about it. Basically when I either press down fully on the gas or even sometimes when I first start it up and am in a hurry and trying to drive faster; the engine basically has no power. I can hear the engine revving, but the power just isn't transferring to the wheels.

I brought it into a shop not too long ago and they said that the exhaust is clogged. Most likely the cat is falling apart. Well, I "fixed" the cat so it is no longer in the picture, but it's still not accelerating correctly.

The problem isn't getting worse, but it's not getting better either. There is no black smoke coming from the exhaust. The engine had a complete tune up about 3 years ago. The transmission was re-built about 3 years ago as well. I can get up to speed, I can drive on the highway at speed with no issues other than an occasional split second "stutter".

About the time I noticed this problem, I did get the check engine light. But it shows error "P0147" O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 3. Which would make sense to me if the cat was the problem and was restricted thus throwing off the O2 sensor. Sadly, this doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm not a mechanic, but I can do a ton of stuff on my own. I would like to fix this without bringing it to a shop. Especially since I don't have a job, am not getting unemployment and am basically broke right now. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by ned4spd8874; 06-17-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM

...shameless bump...

I really need help guys...anyone???

Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Okay, well I replaced the PCV, cleaned the EGR and MAF. Unfortunately, it made no difference.

The weird thing is it can rev just fine when in Park. I was orange lining it and it had no problems. But when I am in Drive and driving and then push the peddle down; that's when the problems start.

This makes me think it's NOT an exhaust issue...

Anyone???

Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road

OK First thing is how did you fix the cat problem??? new used gutted??? Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and drive it and watch fuel PSI with a load.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member
zman6988 is on a distinguished road

I know you may think that the exhaust is fixed but to truly rule out the exhaust system unbolt the exhaust from the manifolds and run it up the road and back and see what happens. It doesn't have to be the cat it could be clogged in the muffler or a piece of the old cat could have broken loose and got pushed back through the exhaust and is still blocking the system. I have seen this happen before just give it a shot to rule it out, then you can definately move on to other parts but try this and what R134A said with the fuel pressure gauge.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I may have to bring it to the shop then. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge nor do I know how to install and use one.

The cat is now empty. When I had it off, I started the truck and revved it up a little and it seemed fine...but loud. But I didn't drive it down the road though.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Beginning Member
Audihoe is on a distinguished road

FP Gauge isnt hard to use. Should be a shrader valve port on one of the fuel lines on top/side of engine. Screw the Gauge hose in and poof it works.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

sounds to me that either your torque converter or clutches in the transmission are going, you said that you can hear the engine rev, but no power to the wheels. while you are driving how high have you noticed it rev up?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nvidia78
sounds to me that either your torque converter or clutches in the transmission are going, you said that you can hear the engine rev, but no power to the wheels. while you are driving how high have you noticed it rev up?
I haven't paid enough attention while I'm driving to be honest. I will check that soon. While it's in Park I can orange/red line it no problem.

The tranny was rebuilt about 3 years ago. It was the guy at the trans place that said it was the exhaust.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ned4spd8874
I haven't paid enough attention while I'm driving to be honest. I will check that soon. While it's in Park I can orange/red line it no problem.

The tranny was rebuilt about 3 years ago. It was the guy at the trans place that said it was the exhaust.
Have you checked the tranny fluid level? does it smell, look burnt?

Quick Reply: '99 runs like it's in molasses when full throttle