2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 Blowing Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 PM
KDB
Beginning Member
KDB is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply's its definitely helpful. For some reason late last night the fuse hung in there for about 15 minutes up and down the road i thought i finally had it figured out but no luck. Captain Hook, i disconnected the plug on the front right axle beside the front differential and had no luck the fuse still blew. I believe that is the one you are talking about ? i still have to try the Indicator switch on top of the transfer case.. Unfortunately i am fresh out of fuses and live in the middle of no where, cant try again till tomorrow night. Any other place i can check?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:39 PM
KDB
Beginning Member

Finally got around to taking another look at the Jimmy after a busy work week. Ive located the problem at the Indicator Switch on top of the transfer case. when i unplugged the harness the fuse was fine all my lights were on and working soon as i plugged it back in and turn the key on it popped. Remind you i just replaced the Vacuum actuator switch because it was seized and i notice the Indicator is similar could that be my problem? i am currently letting my TCCM reset at the moment.

Update Edit: I pulled the indicator switch cleaned it up there was some metal shavings on it... put it back in replaced all the fuses working or not like the ATF and TBC.. unplugged the TCCM for 1 hour did the turn the key 5 times to reset. Honestly that was the longest the fuse lasted in and out of 4x4 up and down the road then after 30 minutes it blew again... i have to be getting somewhere at least right ??

Last edited by KDB; 07-23-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When you say "indicator switch on top of the transfer case", do you mean the encoder motor that is next to the vacuum switch?

Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 AM
KDB
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
When you say "indicator switch on top of the transfer case", do you mean the encoder motor that is next to the vacuum switch?
It looks like this I thought it was the indicator switch it's similar to the actuator switch. It's close to the back of the the Transfer case more in the open. When I unplugged that I couldn't drive very far I had the ABS lights on the spedo didn't work and the transmission barley shifted. so I plugged it in right away. But when I had it unplugged the fuse was fine.. soon as I plugged it back in and turn the key forward the fuse popped.

Attached Thumbnails 4x4 Blowing Fuses-tca-25_8.jpg  

Last edited by KDB; 07-24-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

That's the front axle engagement switch that I was referring to in post #10. It is located on the front differential, (not transfer case) next to the actuator cable. This thread might help you: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-please-65704/

Old 07-24-2015, 01:17 PM
KDB
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
That's the front axle engagement switch that I was referring to in post #10. It is located on the front differential, (not transfer case) next to the actuator cable. This thread might help you: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...-please-65704/
My mistake what i was referring to "indicator switch" its actually the speed sensor located on the transfer case. i included the wrong picture too the top part is right but the bottom piece is longer.. Would the speed sensor have anything to do with my problem? because when i disconnected that the fuse was fine. I'm trying very hard to understand the electrical diagrams for this but unfortunately its not my strong suit. When i disconnected the front axle engagement harness the fuse still popped.

Attached Thumbnails 4x4 Blowing Fuses-2011-05-06_171620_2011-05-07_111814.png  

Last edited by KDB; 07-24-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:37 PM

Speed sensor itself is probably not the problem, however, you might follow that harness forward and look closely for burn or chaffed spots that might be shorting to ground. When you moved the harness, it may have affected whatever is shorting out.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 AM
KDB
Beginning Member

Well, after a much needed vacation and some transitioning at work i finally got around to taking a look at the jimmy again. While i was changing my spark plugs i found the problem it was the front axle engagement switch harness that ended up coming loose and melting against the manifold. So that's where the short was coming from i ended up shorting the wire a bit and removing the burnt piece now it works fine! (eventually i will get a new harness next time i go to the auto wreckers) I appreciate all the help Thanks Captain Hook you were right the entire time! I hope this thread will help someone in the future.

Last edited by KDB; 08-10-2015 at 06:47 PM.