2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 and dash switch Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member
gojimmygo111 is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 and dash switch Lights not working

Help All,

This is my first thread. My 2005 Jimmy has lost its 4x4 mode. The lights on the switch do not illuminate. It is stuck in 2 hi. When I push the switch trying to change mode, there is no sound anywhere. I pulled the wire harness from the passenger side kick panel, where the transfer case mod is. I tried to clean out any corrosion but the mod and wires look good. I also pulled the battery tray and cleaned the 3 wire connectors going to the frame. 2 wires going to the top screw and 1 wire going to the bottom screw. After putting back together still no sound from module and no lights on dash switch.

I had replaced the aluminum box on drives side that the oil lines go to a few years back. At that time the 4x4 would not shift but I still had lights at switch. The only other work thats been done is a mechanic had installed a new passenger side wheel hub. I don't think k the light or shifting worked for long after that. And the fuses are all good. Any thing I missed? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

There is completely no illumination, including 2Hi?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for your reply. Thats right, the 2 hi , 4 lo, and 4 hi don't light up. Nothing happens when I push either button. When the lights are on in the evening, they illuminate, but not the green indicator light showing what mode the transfer case is in. (or is it the red indicator light?)

Old 09-07-2018, 02:52 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I have a different control set, so I cannot tell. But my question should split in between electrical problem (if they are all dark) or actuator problem (if the clutches are not engaged).

Old 09-07-2018, 05:41 AM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I have had that happen on my 2000, and a 97(both different style switches) 2000 should be same style as yours is. It ended up being a bad switch for me. Im not really sure if there is a way to test the switch- but they're pretty cheap.

I would check your 4x4 fuse first though. I believe it's in the cabin fuse box, but I could be wrong on that.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gojimmygo111
Help All,

This is my first thread. My 2005 Jimmy has lost its 4x4 mode. The lights on the switch do not illuminate. It is stuck in 2 hi. When I push the switch trying to change mode, there is no sound anywhere. I pulled the wire harness from the passenger side kick panel, where the transfer case mod is. I tried to clean out any corrosion but the mod and wires look good. I also pulled the battery tray and cleaned the 3 wire connectors going to the frame. 2 wires going to the top screw and 1 wire going to the bottom screw. After putting back together still no sound from module and no lights on dash switch.

I had replaced the aluminum box on drives side that the oil lines go to a few years back. At that time the 4x4 would not shift but I still had lights at switch. The only other work thats been done is a mechanic had installed a new passenger side wheel hub. I don't think k the light or shifting worked for long after that. And the fuses are all good. Any thing I missed? Thanks for your help.
There are at least 2 fuses for the 4WD (at least there is on my 2001). One "4WD" fuse on the fuse panel on the left side of the dash and another marked "ATC" fuse in the underhood relay center. Typically the encoder motor shorts and blows the ATC fuse (also can take out the TCCM). IIRC the blown fuse takes out all the lights in the switch panel, since they are all driven by the TCCM. Good luck

Old 09-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Chevyriders,

I checked all the fuses. I took of the mod in the kick panel and cleaned all contacts. It wasn't that bad. The switches illuminate (white light) when I put the lights on at night, but the red led that tells what mode your in(2hi..example...) does not. It is stuck in 2 hi though. I don't know if the switch or the transfer case module or something else controls that. Frustrating.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
Unhappy

Is there any way for sure to test the TCCM before investing in the part? I found a used one for 100.00 and the dash switch is 80.00. I just don't want to throw parts at the problem if not needed.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road

If ya decide to replace it, go to walmart.com and do a search. It's freaking amazing, they usually have it and it free shipping to a walmart. I've actually bought two for about 20 bucks each for a 96 model. The reason for the 2nd one was because I poked my finger into the amber lens and I took it out and tried to correct my mistake.
Anyway, they are pretty easy to replace.
Later

Old 09-12-2018, 06:09 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Dash switches are $80!?! I have several laying around my garage that I've collected over the years of going to the salvage yard. I'm in the wrong business!

Quick Reply: 4x4 and dash switch Lights not working