2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4X4 troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Beginning Member
98greenie is on a distinguished road

I don't have any of the testers I need to pull that off. Do I have to go to a dealer to get the codes pulled? I assume I need to pull it off the TCCM...

I don't know if I mentioned, but I do hear the clicks when I push the 4-HI button, just no 4X4. I did check all the pins on the TCCM and on the encoder plug-in. Everything looks good, no corrosion, everything is straight I cleaned all the pins with alcohol, even the switch pins, just to be safe..

Thanks agin..

Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the NV233 (3-button) system, all it takes is a paper clip to pull the codes...

Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Beginning Member

How???

Old 12-08-2010, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

did you read the links he posted?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Beginning Member

OK, I did read the links. The diagnostic plug in only has 6 actual pins in it. I tried jumping both wires that were orange and had no flashing to indicate a code was present.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a pinout of the DLC:

You need to connect pin 13 to ground as stated in the first link I posted above. Since ground is present at pin 5 (just above pin 13), you can simply insert a paper clip between the two pins. Then observe the 4wd switch lights.

Pin 16 is battery voltage, do not ground this wire or you will pop the CIG fuse.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding.. Did the test the right way.
When I turn the key, all the lights come on. After about 2 seconds all the lights go off. No flashing and the light for the mode I'm in goes off too. Any ideas?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Administrator

At this point, you either get the appropriate tools to diagnose the problem (multimeter & test light - also must learn how to use them properly), start the shotgun approach to vehicle repair (i.e. just start replacing components), or take it to someone to get it fixed.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member

OK, thanks. I guess I'll start with the encoder motor..
It seems the most likely suspect.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member

Well after re-thinking what I've done and learned here, I took another look at some things. I took the actuator cable loose from both the axle and actuator. The cable moves freely as it should. I think the problem is with the shift fork. It moves inside the housing but only about 3/8 of an inch. Using a little logic, it would seem to have to move about the same as the actuator cable does when engaged. Question is, could it be stuck a little or is there something broken in the extention tube?

Again, thanks for your time..

Quick Reply: 4X4 troubles