2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

94 blazer 4x4 stock hitch onto 99 blazer 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Starting Member
tdbone1 is on a distinguished road
Question 94 blazer 4x4 stock hitch onto 99 blazer 4x4

its the stock receiver (square tubing) and im trying to figure out how to mount it on a 99 blazer
i have tried to put the hitch bracket towards the outside of the bumper bracket and it bends the ears out so i then put the hitch ears in between frame and bumper ear and it flares out the bumpers ears

how does it go on exactly

its really aggravating me

Old 11-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Starting Member

could someone that has the class 3 hitch (square tubing) with something similar to a 99 blazer please go out and look and see how it is mounted?

does the receiver mount over the bumper mounts or does the receiver mount between the frame and bumper mounts?

thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've got a '95 with the square trailer hitch. I'm not sure how similar that is to your '99, though. Looks like it's mounted to the outside of the frame. Not sure what you mean by between the frame and bumper mounts. Looks like its just attached to the side of the frame. I'll try to get a couple pics for ya.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Starting Member
Question

here is my pictures i just took and the problem im having

Hitch - Imgur

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran

Ok, this is on my '95. Hope it helps you out.

This is what it looks like:

(pretty ugly, I know, but it works just fine!)

Looking at the rear passenger side:

And looking at the rear passenger side from under the truck.(My head is where the spare would have gone before the tire carrier mod.

edit: crap. i meant to make those clickable. Gimme a sec...

Last edited by cleburne red; 11-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I think your problem is that your trying to put a first gen hitch on a second gen blazer. I know the hitches even vary on the second gens depending if you have a roll pan or step bumper. The step bumper hitch won't fit the roll pan bumper without modification cause of they way they mount so it wouldn't surprise me if the first gen doesn't fit a second gen!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Starting Member

everything lines up perfect as far as the 4 holes on each side go

only the width between the ears is the problem

it is the same exact width the bumper ears are

example

both the bumper and the hitch are exactly the same width and fit over the frame perfect

its that if you put the bumper ears over the hitch ears then the bumper ears deflect out or if you put the hitch ears over the bumper ears then they deflect out

the hitch ears are 3/16" thick per side

Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I think your problem is that your trying to put a first gen hitch on a second gen blazer...

I looked at the part numbers on Rock Auto. They list a Curt Class 3 for a '94 as part number 13083. They listed a couple different ones for a '99, but neither had the same part number as the '94 one.

But to answer your original question, for what it's worth, it looks like mine mount between the frame and bumper bracket. Hard to tell with 17 years of rust and road grime on there, lol.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Starting Member
Question

you know what i had went to uhaul and did the same thing.
put the 94 blazer in and the 99 blazer and it did have different numbers also

the bumper has nuts and bolts that can loosen up and it looks like adjust the length between the ears

but only on the bottom bolts.
the top bolts are not slotted so it cant be adjusted in and out but the bottom bolts can but it dont make any sense

Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

I know my tube style hitch was from a 95-97 with the style bumper in cleburne red's pics and I had to make slight notches in the side plates to clear on my 98 with the step style rear bumper. I have to look to see if its on the outside or inside of the bumper brackets though (wife ain't home at the moment so theres no truck to look at)

Quick Reply: 94 blazer 4x4 stock hitch onto 99 blazer 4x4