2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer Ignition Lock Cylinder Stuck

Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Beginning Member
Antne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 95 Blazer Ignition Lock Cylinder Stuck

While replacing the ignition switch I removed the lock cylinder (dont know why I did - maybe because I replaced it with the switch last time). Anyhow, after putting the lock cylinder back in, it now does not move and cannot turn. Dont know if I may have misaligned anything if that is possible, but I do not see any reason that it should not turn.

How do I go about getting this out. I tried to drill a hole to the part of the lock that goes up when the key goes in but doesn't seem to make a difference in any way.

Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Blazer is 95 but everything seems to be more of a 96 - no security or passlock system and is automatic, tilt wheel

Last edited by Antne; 02-28-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: car info
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Beginning Member

really nothing from anyone? Well since then I have decided to remove the steering wheel in order to get to the two screws to take the portion of the column that holds the ignition lock and ignition switch. However, I am having issues removing the airbag. I will post under a new post since no one seems to be looking at this.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Beginning Member
Default Need help removing airbag on 95 blazer

I am attempting to remove the steering wheel on my 95 blazer. However, I am already having issues with removing the airbag on it. I am unable to get it off of the steering wheel.

Before anyone says that all is needed is to put in a screwdriver and turn, it is apparently not the type that works that way. I will try to attach to pics of the back of the steering wheel showing what the four holes look like from the back bottom gold color one is for air bag other black one holds on the shroud as well as a side view of one of the connections of the bag from the side. the

From the back the openings are round and go in. I read that each one will need to be pushed out. But I have been unable to push any one of them out. I do not want to use a hammer or anything of the sort as I read that it may deploy the bag (all connections are disconnected along with the battery and fuse removed also)

Please advise me on how to get this thing out. I have everything else needed to remove the wheel but cant do a thing with the airbag on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails 95 Blazer Ignition Lock Cylinder Stuck-img_20140303_163727_083.jpg   95 Blazer Ignition Lock Cylinder Stuck-img_20140303_164315_748.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Did you remove the shift cable? That has given me trouble in the past when it was not set propperly in the park position and the key would not come out. Just a suggestion though.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply, I did not try shift cable. I am not familiar with it. where would I start to look? would it be the cable that hooks on to the neutral safety switch? do I start with it there or where is it on the steering column?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member

got it! needed a punch stick that was small enough to fit inside the hole and gave it a good whack with a rubber mallet and pushed it out.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:47 PM
Beginning Member
Default Trying to remove lock plate on steering wheel

Okay still working on my stuck ignition lock cylinder that does not turn. I have started on taking off the steering wheel in order to get to the two bolts that hold the section of the steering column that hold the ignition lock cylinder.

I have removed the air bag, steering wheel, sir coil and I am down to the lock plate or shaft lock/shield. I do not see how it is to be removed. I have a lock plate remover and am able to push down on the plate but that is it. What do I do next to remove it? I cant figure out what is holding it in. Anybody?

I haven't had any response on any of my other post for help, now somebody has got to know something about this.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:31 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I know on my first gen there are a few screws (I believe 3) that need to be unscrewed before the lock plate will come off.
Look for slots in the lock plate and try to find Philips screws in there.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Also, I have merged your threads, this is all regarding the same thing, it only requires one post, patience is an amazing thing.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:28 AM
Beginning Member

Sorry about the separate threads. After 3 days with no response on the ignition, I went ahead and started removing the steering wheel and figured it was another subject so started a new thread. Didnt think anyone would answer a steering question under an ignition subject that had no responses to start with. Anyways......

I finally figured out the lock plate issue on the steering just now. There is a retaining ring that holds in the lock plate. After pressing the plate down I saw the retaining ring setting in a grove that holds it back. The blazer is a 95 2nd gen. but I find usually that things do not match the rest of the 2nd gen models and aren't close to the 1st gen either. Seems this 95 year has everything different and only comes that way for the one year, so most things I am able to find that are posted rarely apply. Its frustrating finding the same answers that are listed under 2nd gen but never pertain to this one particular year only all the other years.

Thanks for the response though, I appreciate it. Will finally be able to complete the job tomorrow now that I have figured it all out and have taken it apart. it is just the way it has been with this blazer. A simple job that I have done before ends up having a little kink and ends up being a bigger issue that is should have. Theres never a dull moment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Blazer Ignition Lock Cylinder Stuck