2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer Towing Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Matthew Anglin is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer Towing Capacity

Ok so I am thinking about buying another blazer and I am wondering if a blazer can tow another blazer on a trailer I have the class 3 hitch (rated 6000lbs max) under the bumper mine is a 4x4 model and mine has the rear sway bar if that helps anything, the towing weight of trailer and the blazer will be 6200 lbs of towing weight and wondering how much weight someone else has towed with their blazer

Last edited by Matthew Anglin; 09-08-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:05 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Does the trailer have brakes? Stopping is going to more of an issue than getting going.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:46 PM

the uhual trailer has a hydraulic surge break what ever that is, I have all new brakes on my blazer new rotors and pads on front and new drums and shoes on the back it shouldn't be to hard to stop it the max speed I'll be driving is 55-60 mph the whole time. And my blazer locks up the torque converter after letting off the gas in drive that while help some to slow it down

Last edited by Matthew Anglin; 09-08-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:39 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Matthew Anglin
the uhual trailer has a hydraulic surge break what ever that is, I have all new brakes on my blazer new rotors and pads on front and new drums and shoes on the back it shouldn't be to hard to stop it the max speed I'll be driving is 55-60 mph the whole time. And my blazer locks up the torque converter after letting off the gas in drive that while help some to slow it down
I believe the "surge brakes" are ones that are hydraulic and are activated when a brake cylinder in the coupler is compressed. This compression happens when the tow vehicle decelerates and the trailer pushes against it.

Now as for towing another Blazer, I can't imagine that it would be recommended. You would have more weight behind you than the tow vehicle. This could set up a situation in which literally the-tail-wags-the-dog and you loose control.

My 1999 manual says that depending on your drive type, transmission type, and axle ratio, the maximum towing weight is as low as 3,500 lbs or as high as 5,000 lbs. Personally, I consider an upper limit for what is being towed to be about half of the weight of the tow vehicle. I routinely tow my sailboat on its trailer with a total weight of 2,200 lbs. I definitely feel it and must slow down to about 45 mph on long hills. I can reach highway speeds but I never use overdrive and stick with 3rd as the upper gear to use. (This is in the owners manual and was told to me by a local transmission shop.)

The best solution would be to rent a large Uhaul truck to tow the Blazer on the trailer. This is safer and you won't ruin your Blazer (or get into an accident) in the process.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
I believe the "surge brakes" are ones that are hydraulic and are activated when a brake cylinder in the coupler is compressed. This compression happens when the tow vehicle decelerates and the trailer pushes against it.

Now as for towing another Blazer, I can't imagine that it would be recommended. You would have more weight behind you than the tow vehicle. This could set up a situation in which literally the-tail-wags-the-dog and you loose control.

My 1999 manual says that depending on your drive type, transmission type, and axle ratio, the maximum towing weight is as low as 3,500 lbs or as high as 5,000 lbs. Personally, I consider an upper limit for what is being towed to be about half of the weight of the tow vehicle. I routinely tow my sailboat on its trailer with a total weight of 2,200 lbs. I definitely feel it and must slow down to about 45 mph on long hills. I can reach highway speeds but I never use overdrive and stick with 3rd as the upper gear to use. (This is in the owners manual and was told to me by a local transmission shop.)

The best solution would be to rent a large Uhaul truck to tow the Blazer on the trailer. This is safer and you won't ruin your Blazer (or get into an accident) in the process.
Only thing about renting a truck and trailer is the vehicle is almost 300 miles away from me lol and I think it is like 60 cents per mile add to the truck, I thought about getting a car dolly instead of a actual trailer to tow it home with but I don't know how well a dolly would work because a dolly would take the weight off the hitch and I'll just be pulling the weight of the other blazer instead

Old 09-09-2018, 04:11 AM
BF Veteran

U-Haul car trailers are super heavy, so you would probably be better off with the dolly. You would have to unbolt the driveshaft from the rear differential, though, and tie it up under the truck.

There's nothing inherently bad about the trailer weighing more than the tow vehicle (look at every tractor-trailer and half the travel trailers on the road), but you're going to find that the setup you're talking about is going to want to push you around, especially when braking in turns.

The best answer is not to exceed your tow vehicle's tow rating. For a short distance, I would probably go for it, but 300 miles might be a little sketchy.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A
U-Haul car trailers are super heavy, so you would probably be better off with the dolly. You would have to unbolt the driveshaft from the rear differential, though, and tie it up under the truck.

There's nothing inherently bad about the trailer weighing more than the tow vehicle (look at every tractor-trailer and half the travel trailers on the road), but you're going to find that the setup you're talking about is going to want to push you around, especially when braking in turns.

The best answer is not to exceed your tow vehicle's tow rating. For a short distance, I would probably go for it, but 300 miles might be a little sketchy.
So my best bet is to use the dolly to tow the other blazer, also how come if a vehicle is 4x4 you have to unbolt the drive shaft why can you just put it in neutral and the transfer case button on 2wd.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:35 AM
BF Veteran

You can do that with some. But some transfer cases have an oil pump that doesn't turn if only the output shaft is spinning, so there won't be any lubrication while towing. I'm not positive that yours isn't safe to tow, but better to err on the side of caution. It only takes a couple of minutes to disconnect the shaft.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:05 AM
BF Veteran

This is from my 1999 Owners manual, pages 5-7, 5-8:

"With current trends in automotive styles and design, it is essential that the correct towing equipment is used to tow a vehicle. Your vehicle can be towed with wheel lift or car carrier equipment. If your vehicle has a manual transmission, you must use a towing dolly under the rear wheels when towing from the front with wheel lift equipment. Two-wheel-drive vehicles must abide by the following tow limits when being towed by wheel lift equipment:
  • Towing from the front -- 35 mph (55 km/h), 50 miles (80 km)
  • Towing from the rear -- 35 mph (55 km/h), 50 miles (80 km)
When using wheel lift equipment to tow vehicles equipped with the electronic shift transfer case, a towing dolly must be placed under the rear wheels when towing from the front and under the front wheels when towing from the rear. When using wheel lift equipment to tow vehicles equipped with the active transfer case, the transfer case must be in NEUTRAL and the following tow limits must be used:
  • Towing from the front -- 55 mph (88 km/h) or legal speed limit and distance is unlimited
  • Towing from the rear -- 35 mph (55 km/h), 50 miles (80 km)"

Old 09-09-2018, 11:12 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Matthew Anglin
Only thing about renting a truck and trailer is the vehicle is almost 300 miles away from me lol and I think it is like 60 cents per mile add to the truck, I thought about getting a car dolly instead of a actual trailer to tow it home with but I don't know how well a dolly would work because a dolly would take the weight off the hitch and I'll just be pulling the weight of the other blazer instead
I would put it this way: Would spending a couple hundred dollars now to rent a bigger truck be worth the peace of mind you will get for not having to worry about getting into an accident because of your towing arrangement and for the possible damage you might do to your current Blazer? Transmission rebuilds cost about $2,000.

Also, if you spread out the cost of renting a larger tow vehicle over the life of the second Blazer, does it really add that much to the total cost?

Finally, over what type of country would you be towing this second Blazer? Unless it is all very flat, you will be much more likely to have issues either with safety or wear and tear on your current Blazer. Any chance of getting the Blazer delivered for small fee?

Quick Reply: 95 Blazer Towing Capacity