2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blend Door Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:18 PM
Silvermount is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blend Door Confusion

New guy to the forum and just picked up a 95 4x4 Blazer with a 4.3. No heat so I went through the usual suspects and found a vacuum hose off reconnected and now I can switch between defrost, heat etc.. The temp selector still does nothing so I wanted to check the blend door actuator and came to the forum to find the location so I don't hopefully have to pull the dash out. And the first question, do I have an electrically driven actuator or a vacuum one? I see posts going both ways.

Some threads suggest that the actuator can be accessed by pulling out the glove box. However, in my Blazer, the glove box appears to be glued in with the dash glued over it. So that approach does not seem correct. Other threads say the actuator is on the top if the blower box. So, my question is where is the actuator and what is the easiest way to get to it? I can't see anything from underneath or through the holes in the glove box. Can this glove box be removed without destroying it or the dash?

Lastly, I couldn't find a diagram of the vacuum lines for the 95 Blazer. The ones I found were tiny. Is there a trick to enlarging them while keeping them legible?

Old 11-17-2018, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

At least on my 99, there is a release that will allow the glove box door to swing down fully. It is spring loaded and catches the back lip of the compartment that is attached to the door. Alternately, you can remove screws for the glove box door hinge to remove the glove compartment and door as a unit.

With the door out of the way, you can reach in and see the actuator. Small hands help! (see the videos below)

The actuator is electric and there are different models depending on if you have a Computer Climate Control or a manual temperature control.

I think that once you see how the actuator works, you can see if the shaft for the door moves when the actuator is activated. Alternatively, there is an access panel on some air boxes on the engine side of the fire wall that can give you access from above. On the Computer-Controlled HVAC systems, like mine, it is just a blank. For the non-computer controlled ones, it is where the resistors for the fan motor are mounted (I think).

Red circle marks there access panel.

Blend door is marked by the arrow. The axle/hinge for it is marked with a yellow line. The mesh on the left is the AC evaporator and the aluminum colored radiator to the right of the door axle is the heater core.

This video is pretty good but it is for a 98.

This video is pretty good too but it also has some information on how the actuators fail.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Silvermount is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply

The glove box door is not the access issue. Take a look at my pic. The glove box itself is glued in and the dash is glued over it, so as I see it, the glove box cannot be removed without cutting out the section of the dash that covers it. Removing the screws is easy, but what do you do about the dash glued over the box? To make things worse, the relay box is located in the glove box.

Is this something that is somehow unique to my 1995 Blazer? I see threads from others with a 95 that say the posts about actuator replacement like the ones you posted do not work with the 95. I can't be the only one. What is the solution you 95ers found? Cut out the glove box? Cut out the dash overlap. Or bite the bullet and remove the entire dash? Removing the dash seems to be what is implied in some of the threads.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Silvermount
Thanks for the reply

The glove box door is not the access issue. Take a look at my pic. The glove box itself is glued in and the dash is glued over it, so as I see it, the glove box cannot be removed without cutting out the section of the dash that covers it. Removing the screws is easy, but what do you do about the dash glued over the box? To make things worse, the relay box is located in the glove box.

Is this something that is somehow unique to my 1995 Blazer? I see threads from others with a 95 that say the posts about actuator replacement like the ones you posted do not work with the 95. I can't be the only one. What is the solution you 95ers found? Cut out the glove box? Cut out the dash overlap. Or bite the bullet and remove the entire dash? Removing the dash seems to be what is implied in some of the threads.
Your picture did not get posted. It might because your number of posts is too low for that privilege yet. You might try adding the picture as an attachment instead.

As for your issues, it sounds like you might have something different going on.

I did a search and found these pictures. Do these look like what you have? If so, I would be at a loss at what to advise you to do. Hopefully another person with a 95 can chime in and help out.