2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 CPI SPIDER: Fuel puddle in plenum no spider leaks??HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Using UV dye and a blacklight will reveal the source. Works like a charm for finding small leaks that are otherwise undetectable. After you add the dye to the tank, activate the pump. You don't need to drive the vehicle, the pump will circulate the fuel.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Beginning Member
hunter05 is on a distinguished road

I will give it a try and let you know what i find. This is driving me crazy.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Hang in there, you're almost there

Old 05-07-2013, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hunter05
I did restrict both the supply and return lines. See my original post. I observed the nut kit and the spider poppet fuel lines. I even completely disassembled the sided units hoping to find bad oring or crack. I found nothing. Inused the service pump lead to run the pump as I crimped off both fuel lines then watched the lines for 20 minutes and not a drop of fuel came out from anywhere. ???
IF you have NO leaks at the spider,then it MIGHT be the one way valve at the pump. If you do some searchin you will find a connection for the fuel filter so that u can check pressure there. Minimum is 60 psi. check pressure before the filter. i bet your pump is leaking pressure.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Hunter05's results of step 3 in post #1 proved the leak is in the plenum. Fuel pooling on the passenger side is either a leaky regulator or spider line to cylinders 2, 4, or 6. If a poppet valve leaks, fuel will enter the combustion chamber.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

where the puddles are is where the leak is. Check to make sure the fuel pump is seated in the take. I've seen one not installed right and it simply popped out and was up against the floorboard leaving a hole open in the top of the tank.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Beginning Member

I found no leaks with the dye. I had the spider checked by an injector repair center, mr. injector. I went a head and change the nut kit anyway. I am even more frustrated then ever. The puddling on the regulator side, the plenum was pretty much washed clean. The only think i can think of is that it might actually be antifreeze??? Maybe I will add some dye to it and see what happens. One thing that leads me to this, while i have no oil/antifreeze cross contamination, is that on 2 separate occasions I was with my son and he stomped on the pedal, while going down the road, reving up to 5K the engine vibrated and the water pump to block gaskets blew both times??? The engine I got as a long block only has 10,000 miles on it. Starts up easily every time.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Beginning Member

I should state that he did find a problem with the new regulator, it wasnt blowing off until 100 psi. I took it back he rechecked and injector passed all the tests. I will check in the plenum for fuel/antifreeze after a few days for driving.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Beginning Member

I still have puddling after replacing the nut kit and the FPR. I had the spider assembly tested by an injector rebuilder and they found no problems. Any Ideas?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM

You've checked the only things that can leak inside the plenum. If fuel is still pooling, ya missed the leak, check it again.

Quick Reply: 95 CPI SPIDER: Fuel puddle in plenum no spider leaks??HELP