2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 4 door 4X4 Blazer just died...Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member
bobbye is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 96 4 door 4X4 Blazer just died...Help?

I'm a fairly good wrench-turner, however even this one has me stumpped.. I've got different opinions and I'm leaning towards 2 of them..Here goes:
Started fine, drove up the highway ramp fine, up to speed like normal going no problem. After about 5 miles @ 55-60 the truck just dies out. No surging, jerking, "Idiot Lights" or anything. Nothing to indicate a problem anywhere. It just stops running. Pulled over. After several attempts to restart(cranking but no start)...Nothing-But I did get a fairly bad sulphur smell. After about sitting about 40 minutes waiting for the tow truck I try again and it fires right up however there is another bad sulphur smell coming from the bottom of the vehicle and tailpipe. When the driver drove it off the truck at my house the smell was just as bad or worse.
Battery connections are clean/tight, fuel seems to be getting to the TB correctly, has good spark while cranking.
I'm guessing at 1 of 2 things(or possibly both):
1) Catalytic converter got "clogged" causing the shutdown-which is what a couple guys told me
2) The fuel pump/strainer got clogged up or is bad-which is what a couple other guys suggested
A couple other shops suggested it just needs a "Tune-Up" and this is causing the smell which they can do of course at $$$.
I didn't check fuel pump pressure due to the rain/cold but today I'm going to see what I get.
Thanks, Bob

Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check the pressure and let us know.

If you suspect the catalytic converter, remove the O2 sensor directly ahead of the cat and drive the vehicle. If it runs better, then you have a restricted or plugged cat.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Beginning Member

Okay, thanks. I'll check when I get home.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Beginning Member

55 PSI. Going to replace the filter and do a complete tune up while I'm at it. I bought it w/163K on it and I put 7 K on it, so it's probably about time. I'm pulling the exhaust-It needs a muffler anyway-so I figure I'll just do the whole darn thing. It's a "While I'm under here" type of thing. Peace of mind. The truck ran better without the O2 but I didn't drive that @ highway speeds, so i can't be sure but it still stunk.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member

After going over everything here's a rundown:
Fuel pump pressure was within specs, so I didn't go there-Good thing 'cause I had a full tank
Plug electrodes were non-existant-I've never seen plugs this bad-possibly original???
Cap/Rotor decent-although I don't see how with the plugs in such sad shape
Muffler/tailpipe had holes/cracks and needed to go
Cat had small pinhole rust isues due to the fact that the heat shield was long gone
Replace all those parts-Truck runs great!
Now after spending a couple afternoons under the vehicle I do realize a few "other" issues:
Needs oil cooler lines, shocks F & R, F & R sway bar links, and I have a gas leak from somewhere near the top of the tank towards the body line and my fuel lines at the filter have seen better days and I have reason to suspect the leaf springs aren't up to snuff.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good deal on getting it all fixed up! Now get to work on those other things!! LOL