2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer Hard start....FIXED!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
2020pup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 Blazer Hard start....FIXED!!!!!

It was a hell of a battle but the Blazer is Fixed.... I hope this info may help others that may have the same problem that I was experiencing..This will blow your mind...I have a 96 Blazer with a 4.3that was extremely hard to start..You would have to pour gas in the air intake just to get it to start..once it was started it ran very well..I checked the pressureand it showed 10 psi with key on..50 while running..so you would think it was the fuel pump..so i changed it...still hard start and the pressure was10 psi with key on (should be 55-60 psi with key on)..next thought was the pressure regulator...so i changed it...still hard start and only 10 psi of fuel pressure...I decided to drop the tank to check the o-ring around the fuel pump assembly where it goes into the tank...i went ahead and changed it..put everything back and guess what...still 10 psi of fuel pressure.. am really pissed by now..drop the tank again...put the orginal (don't know why) fuel pump back in...bolted everything back up and roooooar...still10 psi... oh yeah, had already change the fuel filter too..thinking it may be a voltage issue (thanks to the advice of the nice people on here)i went a bought a brand new battery and put in it....check the voltage at the connection...and it showed 12 volts...crap...that didn't do anything..so as i was lying under it (seem to be my favorite pastime lately) i thought i would disconnect the fuel (it has the quick connectors with thw plastic lines) to inspect the lines...hoping for some kind of blockage..AND THERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM WAS..THE DAMN O-RINGS IN THE ENDS OF THE LINES WE DRY-ROTTED...YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT..THE O-RINGS...There was no sign of gas leaking...no strong odor...i went down to the auto parts place and spent .64 cents..repaced them...turned the ignition on and got 63 psi from the first pump that i thought was bad...truck starts like new...runs like new..so please...check the o-rings or the plastic lines before you go through what i did...sorry this post was long but i tried let you know everything...good luck to you and god bless...brent

Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 96 Blazer Hard start....FIXED!!!!!

Wow, talk about a headache. Thanks for coming back to post your findings, hopefully it WILL help someone else in the future!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Beginning Member
Blazing Goat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 96 Blazer Hard start....FIXED!!!!!

Thanks for posting your findings. Im sure someone will benefit from this post in the future. And congrats on getting the truck up and running!