2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 LT 4DR 2WD 137K needs work...

Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 PM
ERUKOLINDO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 LT 4DR 2WD 137K needs work...

Hello, i'm new to this forum but have read through some and it seems great!
Just wondering if ya'll can get me started on some much needed work on my blazer.
-I need to know how many O2 sensors i have, been told 2 and 4 so not sure. but need to replace them. I have a sputtering choking thing going on at basic acceleration and around 70 MPH. had the distributor and plugs and wires all replaced and the "spider" thing replaced but i still get that engine sputter. cant remeber the code it shot out but it was like sensor 1 bank 1.
-Also i have replaced the radiator and thermostat but i still have that liquid rushing sound under the center console in the mornings when the engine is cold. any suggestions on that?
-One last thing is i just started hearing a flywheel type grinding sound from under the passenger side with basic RPM rising. i think its coming from the cat converter or muffler but cant tell. anyone know whats up?
-Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 96 LT 4DR 2WD 137K needs work...

#1 best bet is to tell us the exact code that shows, you can get a number of O2 sensor codes.

#2 You're probably hearing the coolant in your heater core, check that the system is full

#3 Hmmm, I don't know...maybe something loose inside the exhaust, try tapping it with a rubber hammer or you're fist when it's cold.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:50 PM
fred96 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

#2 You're probably hearing the coolant in your heater core, check that the system is full
exactly what i was thinking, mine does the exact same thing i wouldnt worry about it

Old 08-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend some further maintenance before replacing any of the O2 sensors. Things like cleaning the EGR valve and MAF sensor would be high on my list. Both of these components, if dirty, can cause all sorts of issues.

With the O2 sensors, the first thing I recommend is to swap the sensors side to side. So if you know that the code was for B1S1, then swap the upstream sensors side to side and reset the PCM. If the code comes up for B2S1 the next time, then you know that the PCM is having difficulties with the passenger side (originally driver's side) upstream O2 sensor.

About the sensor locations. Your 2 upstream sensors are B1S1 (driver's side) and B2S1 (passenger's side). These are the two sensors that are closest to the exhaust manifolds on their respective sides. You then have 2 downstream sensors, one directly ahead of the catalytic converter (B1S2) and one directly behind the catalytic converter (B1S3). The downstream sensors are only used for catalyst monitoring and have nothing to do with engine fuel delivery or drivability.

ORIGINAL: fred96
ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

exactly what i was thinking, mine does the exact same thing i wouldnt worry about it
This is not something to just "not worry about". If air is in the system, that means there is a problem. It could be something as simple as a low coolant level, but it could also mean that you have a leak somewhere. If left unrepaired, the consequences could be quite bad...

Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Considering the vehicle has a 137K miles on the presumably original O2 sensors, I would seriously consider replacing them. An O2 sensor supposedly only has a useful service life of 30 to 50K miles (but we all know they can last a lot longer). I replaced all 4 of mine at about 100K miles. $54.00 each at AZone.

I would not presume though that you necessarily have an O2 sensor problem. You mentioned choking and/or sputtering. This could be a sign of fuel delivery issues. Have you changed the fuel filter, ever? The pressure regulator could be bad or starting to fail. BTW, that spider thingy is the computer controlled fuel injection and since it didn't alleviate the problem, you probably bought a part you didn't necessarily need. You could also have vacuum leaks, check all hoses for cracking or dry rot. Since the spider was changed, I'd also check for vacuum leaks along the intake plenum.

The water sloshing sound is air in the cooling system. Park the vehicle with the front tires on ramps and slowly fill the radiator with the engine running. This should drive out trapped air. If the sound comes back in a relatively short period of time, you have a leak. Could be radiator cap, could be intake gaskets leaking.

Don't have a guess about the grinding sound, could be CAT. Need more specific info to make a better guess.