2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 bravada wont start turns over just no start

Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Starting Member
bobby099 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 bravada wont start turns over just no start

hi i was in the process of paying on bravada for a winter truck well i just about paid it off and the owner called me and told me she couldnt get it started i was thinking it was out of gas so i got some gas in a gas can i poured it in and turned the key over for 3 seconds and turned it back off i was thinking it might be the fuel pump so i had my girlfriend get in and turn the key so i could hear the pump click on the pump clicked on just no start. then i pulled out one of the plugs to see if i could get spark i got spark its barley sparking its orange i am going to rent a fuel pressure tester tomorrow when i get out of work. but could someone help me out.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Orange spark is a weak spark. Should be a hot, blue, spark at each plug. Is the battery fully charged? These things are real fussy when it comes to distributor cap & rotor, use AC Delco only!

Proper fuel pressure, and the ability to hold it after the engine shuts off, is critical. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, (when the ignition is initially turned to the ON position the pump will come on for ~2 seconds and shut off ). Pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off.

Post your results.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Starting Member

thanks! i never messed with a fuel pump before so i hope it just needs a complete tune up and i can pay it off she gave it to me thinking it needed a fuel pump she did not want to pay for the fuel pump so i got the truck for 400 bucks

Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Starting Member

the battery was dead from trying to start it so many times i jumped it it was at 14 volts when i took the cables off. the tackometer kinda jumped as you try to start it

Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Check fuel pressure and leakdown first. If it comes to needing a tune up, use AC Delco plugs #41-993 and gap them at .060" and use the AC Delco cap & rotor. Use a good quality set of plug wires: Autolite, Belden, AC Delco, etc, NOT a store brand, Duralast, etc.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Starting Member

ok i will have to get a pressure tester tomorrow when i get out of work there are autolite plugs in it right now.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Autolite Professional Series plug wire specs are better than AC Delco wires at about 1/3 the price. Autolite plugs are great in a Ford product, not so much in a GM

Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Starting Member

yeah i hope those plug wires are good still i probably will change them there are also autolite spark plugs in there to

Old 10-14-2012, 08:22 PM

Good luck and post your results.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Starting Member

well when i thought it was the fuel pump it was not after the last post i went outside the next day and i had to try to start it 2 more times then it fired up but its running pretty rich and the engine light is flashing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 bravada wont start turns over just no start