2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 auto 4.3 timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Jamie is on a distinguished road
Default 98 auto 4.3 timing problem

Hi all, I'm new here. I don't own a Blazer but I'm trying to fix one for a family member.
Anyway, the problem started after an hour of driving at around 70mph on the highway. I got off the highway and started to accelerate again the engine loss power and started missing terribly to the point that I didn't think it would keep running. After I pulled over I didn't hear anything that made me want to turn it off. It continued to run but very poorly. I drove it a little more to see exactly what it was doing. It had no power and and missed alot when given more gas.
Got it home and figured the timing had jumped somehow. Got it on TDC ( the book said this was the #4 compression stroke. Go figure.) and pulled the crank cover. Nothing seemed out of place and it didn't seem possible for much to go wrong here. So I pulled the dist. cap. The rotor was pointing in completely the opposite direction. With the timing marks lined up at 6 and twelve o'clock the dist should have been at #4. I had #1. I'm still confused about how it was still running at all. So I pulled the dist. thinking that maybe I had some stripped gears. The gears looked fine though. I had my dad take a look and he said that maybe the rotor had slipped.
Well he welded it on so there was no way it could slip if that was the problem. I put everything back together and put the distributor back in with it pointing at number 4 instead of 1. Tried to turn it over and it chocked and wouldn't start.
I figured the computer must have been correcting for the timing issue so I tried moving it back to 1. It got closer to starting but still wouldn't. I've tried moving it to different positions thinking maybe the computer would relearn or something. Sometimes it would seem like it wanted to start but just wouldn't.

So, that's about all the info I could think of. I'm at a loss. Thinking maybe try a new distributor. You guys have any ideas?
Any suggestions welcome.
thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Jamie is on a distinguished road

Anyone else had a problem like this? It's still sitting in the driveway. Got to fix it or sell it soon.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Whatever book you have, Chiltons, Haynes etc, toss it, they're both worthless....and wrong.

The distributor is not installed correctly. It's not what caused the original problem, but needs to be corrected before diagnosing the real problem.

#1 cylinder, (front cylinder on driver side) must be at TDC on it's compression stroke, and the rotor must point to the "6" on the distributor housing. Using a socket and ratchet on the vibration dampener bolt, rotate the crankshaft clockwise to line up the timing marks as shown below.

Remove the distributor and install as shown below. Rotor must point to the "6" when fully seated in the intake manifold.

If it fails to start, backfire, etc, the distributor is most likely 180 degrees off and will need to be repositioned correctly. (Crankshaft was at TDC of exhaust stroke) Remove it and rotate the distributor shaft 180 degrees and reinstall.

After it runs, check the fuel filter for restriction, and check fuel pressure and leakdown. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, fuel pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. Post your results.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-29-2012 at 03:42 PM.