2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 does not work

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM
carlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 does not work

I have a 95 blazer and i noticed that wen i put it into the 4x4 only the rear wheels are spinning and not the front. The light goes on when i press it saying that it is in 4x4 but wheni got stuck in the snow in the winter only my rear tires were spinning and not the front. Does anyone know the problem? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 does not work

You'll need to verify that your front axle is engaging. You have a vacuum actuator that engages the front axle in 4hi & 4lo. It is supplied with vacuum through the transfercase vacuum switch. If anything has happened to the supply to the transfercase switch or to the line from there to the front axle actuator, it won't engage. The same is true if the diaphram on the actuator has gone bad as well as if the cable has seized in the jacket.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 AM
carlo is an unknown quantity at this point

so if i replace the vacuum actuator, the shift cable, and the transfer case vacuum switch should it work?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't replace anything until you have checked out the various components. It could be something as simple as a faulty or disconnected vacuum line costing you practically nothing to repair. If, when in 4hi and engine running, you pull the vacuum line off at the front axle actuator (under the battery tray), you have good strong vacuum, then the switch and vacuum lines are working, but the actuator and/or shift cable are not.

If you do not have vacuum, then you either have a vacuum supply problem to the switch on the transfer case or a faulty switch. If your modes still work in your HVAC system, then you mostlikely have a faulty switch or a faulty line between the switch and the actuator.