2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is this 98 blazer worth the investment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 AM
rmp219 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this 98 blazer worth the investment?

I have a question about a blazer I want to purchase. Its a 1998 Chevy Blazer LS with 145K 4x4 4 door automatic.

Code sensor says it has multiple miss fires and o2 sensor is bad. Gas gauge doesn't work. The seller will sell it to me for $800. Its in really good shape for the year and I don't see any leaks or major issues.

I cant really test drive it. It wont run it jerks and stutters etc. just like spark plug issues. So I'm asking some advise from the professionals here as to would you buy it or not.

I think it could be an easy fix, but am I missing something on these SUVs that could make me loose big. I'm willing to take a chance for the price because it seems reasonable.

I'm buying from a women who is getting a divorce and doesn't care about the car and wants it gone.

I think that's enough history to get some advice.

thanks for everyone's input.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:35 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I bought my 98 for 900, had to do some work myself on it. put in a spider and steering parts. O2 sensor is cheap and easy fix. Miss fires may be something simple like dist cap and rotor. As for the gas gauge, thats part of the fuel pump and can be fixed but is a little more involved. You could just keep track of mileage in stead

Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Starting Member
DimeBlazr is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it needs an ignition system tune up big time. Coil, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor and spark plugs, if you buy good quality parts and do the work yourself it should only cost about 200 bucks. I had an astro van with the same 4.3 and anytime it was damp outside that thing would buck and jerk and cut out until it warmed up and dried out the ignition system, once i change the above mentioned parts i never had another problem. Main thing is, use good quality name brand parts or you will be wishing you had in about 6 months. Also O2 sensor code could be caused by misfires so dont throw one at it right off the get go if you decide to buy it.
I paid $800 for a blazer in much worse condition than that sounds and sold it a couple months and 600 bucks later for $3200.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:05 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I would get it. Probably just needs a tune-up as these 4.3 engines are pretty tough and 145k miles is nothing.
Does the 4x4 work?
Let us know what you do.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 AM

Thanks everyone. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something bigger. I will probably get it today. Tune up is what I thought and I will use quality parts. I also can do all the work myself. I'm not a mechanic but I play one at home. .

I'm not sure about the 4 wheel drive cause it runs so poorly I can't really check anything. However I will try again before I buy. It seems to engage etc. I was told it all worked fine until she started having this issue with it running like crap. Then when she tried to step on the gas it would only go about 15 miles per hour then start jerking and wanting to stahl etc.

Im taking her word for a lot of the troubles,she seems truthful and I have the code readings that don't lie.

I was trying to see if there wasn't a major engine failure that would be thousands and not hundreds.

Looks like a well taken care of vehicle. But looks can be deceiving.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 PM
spittybays

As long as you "play one at home" you will be fine. If someone else has to do it forget about it. Outside budget would be 500 to get all the parts that could be wrong.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:39 PM

I tried $500. She would not except. She said her mech. Friend said to not take less than $1000.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:09 PM
spittybays

No you misread or I miss typed, the price is fare. I was just saying that it should be less then five in parts to get it up to perfect.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Yea, sorry. I misread. 500 should get it running. Unfortunately it needs tires too.

Im going to start small see if i can get it running strong and go from there. I just hope I didn't buy a huge pile. Because I couldn't test it all out. No rust, its straight and only bad thing on the outside is rear bumper passenger side is cracked. Inside some detailing and a few cosmetics and I should be good. Its tranny, engine and transfer-case I'm worried about. We will see if she was as honest as she said.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

If you use acdelco or delphi parts, she`ll be a strong engine. The motors are the best part of these trucks

Quick Reply: Is this 98 blazer worth the investment?