2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Tranny Issue..Leaking from dipstick, amongst other places

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Beginning Member
DFEMS2 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Tranny Issue..Leaking from dipstick, amongst other places

98 with 220,000 miles on it. Tranny has been lweaking for some time now, and it appeared it was blowing it out the breather on the dipstick. now it appears it may be leaking from some where else up top. Any ideas on what would cause this?? Help, cuz I am getting antsy

Old 02-26-2010, 01:37 PM
iamthatguy2 is on a distinguished road

Careful - the seal/gasket between the transmission and the transfercase is leaking and forcing fluid up the transfercase vent. This has been known to start fires on the right hand side of the exhaust and burn a bunch of stuff including the vacuum system and the O2 wiring.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member
Default Transfer Case seal HELP!!!!!

So I posted a while back about tranny fluid coming up my dipstick and leaking out. Can anyone tell me what seal that is, and how I go about fixing it, or point me to a thread. I attempted to search, with no luck.
Please ehlp me, I need to get this fixed soon, as I am sick of putting tranny fluid in and having it come out!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You lost your previous thread..?

I'll merge this back into the other one.

The seal you need is the transfer case input seal. You may want to search for just that; "transfer+case+input+seal" and see what turns up.

If you have the 3-button NV233 transfer case, then regular ATF is all that is needed in the transfer case. But if you have the 4-button NV236 transfer case, you MUST use GM AutoTrak II fluid in the transfer case or you will damage the viscous coupling.

If you ever need to find your threads again, you cam search for posts by author using the advanced search option from the search drop down in the top menu bar. Just type in your screenname and click 'search now'.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you

I have the 3 button 4WD. Is this a hard fix??

Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Other than removing the transfer case to get at the seal, no.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 PM
jck1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you must drive your vehicle until you can replace the seal, remove the fill plug on the transfer case to allow the excessive fluid to drain out and reduce the chance of over flowing fluid to drip on the exhaust. Transmission fluid can cause a fire.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jck1961
If you must drive your vehicle until you can replace the seal, remove the fill plug on the transfer case to allow the excessive fluid to drain out and reduce the chance of over flowing fluid to drip on the exhaust. Transmission fluid can cause a fire.
yes it can, i have seen it first hand. we had to use a fire extinguisher to put it out. man was that scary.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Sadchevy is on a distinguished road

first of all .....trans fluid coming out the dipstick would indicate transmission overfilled/overheating issue. transmission would also blow fluid out the vent on the top of the tranny . the transfer case seal would cause fluid to come out of the transfer case vent not the tranny dipstick .

Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Considering that the first reply didn't really give a clear indication of where the fluid was coming from, we just went with the most common problem. You may want to also take a look at the vacuum/vent system for the transfer case. The transfer case vent is what is strapped to the transmission dipstick tube...